Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FW3 Laptop

profile.country.GB.title
llstjoh
Explorer

VGN-FW3 Laptop

I have rebuilt my laptop and found that the Wireless "N" does not seem to work and i tested other devices on my router which works ok. I there a different driver i shoukd be using to get it work? can anyone help

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

Hi Ilstjoh,

if I understand you correctly, your FW3 can only connect using 802.11b/g instead of 802.11n?

The FW3 uses the Intel WiFi Link 5100 wireless module. It is not clear to me what 'rebuilt my laptop' means. Did you install a non-Sony operating system? Did you recover from the Sony recovery discs? Did you take the VAIO apart and put it back together?

The VAIO Support page offers both the originally installed wireless LAN driver and an update.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FW31E

If using the updated wireless LAN driver doesn't resolve the problem, failure to establish the connection may be down to the router and the Intel card being incompatible. The FW3 was released - like many other products - using 'Draft-n', a non-final implementation of the new standard. Mostly this works just fine, but in some cases it doesn't. If you have used the FW3 with this router and 802.11n successfully before, that's of course not applicable, but then the solution will be down to something less than obvious.