Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FW31ZJ: 'An Error Occurred while Troubleshooting'

profile.country.en_GB.title
tedbob
Visitor

VGN-FW31ZJ: 'An Error Occurred while Troubleshooting'

My Sony Vaio has had a number of problems since I bought it. It has been back to the Sony Repair Centre three times and on the last occasion they finally upgraded it to Windows 7 for me.

I live with most of the problems I am still having (such as Marketing Tools has stopped working) but finally the trouble shooter has stopped working.  The Message I receive is:

'An Error Occurred while Troubleshooting:'

'An unexpected error has occurred. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue'

Under VIEW ERROR DETAILS:

Path :                Unknown

Error Code:        0x80070002

Source:              Engine

User:                  WIN-5B4X4Y7G5CP\Administrator

Context:              Elevated

Help please.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
peshyxp
Visitor

It could be a number of things since appears related to software issue, for peace of mind i would really suggest the easiest thing to do is to reininstall the operating system using the Sony Recovery Software tool (hit F10 whilst reboot to relaunch)

I assume the Sony came originally installed with Windows 7 or you have the upgrade disc if it came with Vista

Keep us posted how you get on

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi tedbob,

How long has this problem been going on? It may just be a temporary Microsoft server problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tedbob
Visitor

Hi

The troubleshooter stopped working about six weeks ago so I don't think it is Micrsoft server problem

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi tedbob,

See whether anything in the following thread from Microsoft TechNet helps.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-ZA/w7itprogeneral/thread/cb96c5eb-d1fd-4feb-a6c3-d172d...

If you have to resort to a startup repair it will be necessary to download a Windows 7 Recovery Disk as the Vaio recovery disks will not perform this.

The source I have for this download used to be free but it now seems that, due to licensing restrictions, there is a small charge.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

Or you could try a Google for a free source.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tedbob
Visitor

Hi peshyxp

I have been reluctant to use the Sony Recovery Software because although I have got the upgrade disc for Windows 7 everytime I upgraded to Windows 7 I lost the use of the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

I spent hours on the phone to Sony and they 'repaired' the laptop three times and in the end they did the upgrade to Windows 7 for me.  However I still have to use Device Manager to scan for 'Hardware Changes' before the DVD/CD-ROM drive appears on the list of hardware.  If I simply put a Blue-Ray disc into the drive nothing happens until I have scanned for hardware changes.

By the way the DVD-CD-ROM drive is a Matshita BD-MLT UJ320AS.

Would I be better just reverting back to Windows Vista because it seems the (FREE) upgrade to Windows 7 is causing the problems?

peshyxp
Visitor

Windows 7 upgrade shouldnt prevent the blue ray drive from operating

As long as you are using the official Sony Win7 upgrade disc for your FW model you should be fine ( I have upgraded using such a disc and everything works alot better under Win7 compared to Vista which in reality was a pile of poo!)

It may be that the dvd driver has not been loaded in which case you will need to reinstall by going to Sony website and searching for intructions there on the blue ray driver for your model when running Win7

Let us know how you get on