Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FW51JF/H - Combo Blu-ray drive doesn't burn CD-R media above 4x

VaioPMNS
Visitor

VGN-FW51JF/H - Combo Blu-ray drive doesn't burn CD-R media above 4x

Hi,
I’m a newbie VAIO user having bought a VGN-FW51JF/H, which has a Blu-ray combo drive.
Only in the last few days have I decided to try out a simple CD-R burning and was quite shocked to notice the drive can only write at 4x, when the specs claim it goes up to 16x for CD-R!
The built-in drive is a Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-TD01 (firmware 1.01) and I tried three different software burners to no avail,(including Nero )all listing 4x as the top speed. Also tried 3 or 4 brands of CD-R…Sony, Memorex, Verbatim and nothing! Not only is the drive picky on the speed (taking 20 mins), but even pickier with the media…some burn well, others don’t (Memorex failed right at beginning, but Sony media pulled through).
I installed all the available updates from the support page, but apparently there is no firmware update, for the drive, to correct these serious issues. I still haven’t tried the normal DVD burning, but inserted one and at least the speed was displayed as expected, 8X, so I assume it’s only behaving like this for CD-R media.
In a store, also made a small test on another PC, exactly the same model, and once again the reported speed was 4x, so this is not exclusive to the one I bought.
Does anybody else have this issue ?
Is there a firmware for this drive ? I tried everything and couldn’t find anything…
I have one day to decide if I should keep the PC or not, as there are no guarentees Sony will acknowledge this bug and release a firmware to correct it L
Thanks in advance

78 REPLIES 78
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I haven't contacted Vaio yet, but I will do so next week. 

Hi kaepten-koma,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

I think VaioPMNS would appreciate you reporting this to Sony Support.

I've made this thread a sticky so hopefully more VGN-FW51 owners will reply.

VaioPMNS
Visitor

I am having the exact same problem with my FW-55x. I got the FW about a week ago and am looking desperately for a solution to this problem. I haven't contacted Vaio yet, but I will do so next week. The firmware updated that is provided on the sony website doesn't work with my laptop either.

Welcome kaepten-koma, i guess i'm not alone in this after all.
Thalamus is right, please report the issue to VAIO Link as soon as you can, they will use our feedback to open a case with Sony Belgium, and apparently they are the ones to anaylise these issues and request a firmware from Pioneer. I called them today again to ask about news, and they told me they had opened a case report. The more of us complain, the better. (i also wrote them)
Your drive is exactly this Pioneer one ? Besides the CD-R issue, How long does your PC take to burn a DVD+R ? I compared my DVD+R 8x to an Asus PC 8x, and it took a few minutes more burning...

VaioPMNS
Visitor

Thalamus, i can confirm another issue reported in a topic by user Chrisk10, this drive also doesn't recognize DVD-R media at all!!!

This is terrible...do you think they're already aware of this drive's problems ?

kaepten-koma
Visitor

I have got the BDC-TD01. I have tried different software including Nero 8 and 9 but CD-Rs won't burn faster than 4x. DVD-R works fine though (8x), it took about 12 Minutes to burn a DVD-R. Not very fast, but acceptable. I don't have any blank DVD+R disk to test the speeed, but I don't think it will make much of a difference compared to DVD-Rs.
The CD-R Speed is still terribly slow! Almost 20 minutes for an audio cd is definetely too slow. I used the contact form on the vaio website to make a case. I will let you know when I get a reply from Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

do you think they're already aware of this drive's problems ?

Yes I believe Sony support Belgium are aware, however I'm not sure at the moment how long it will take to release a firmware update or even if one will be released at all..

If I hear anything I'll try to let you know..

VaioPMNS
Visitor

Ok Thalamus, thanks a lot for the support.

I find it inexcusable if they don’t provide an update for this, it seems to be correctable. My warranty has just started but I will not let go until this is cleared. If these issues can’t be corrected, then I’m asking for a drive replacement.

Hi kaepten-koma, are you sure it was DVD-R and not +R? Because mine doesn’t even recognize DVD-R media, only DVD+R. I didn’t try burning, only reading (it was a TDK) and nada!
I agree and can live with the DVD+R speed not being the best…but support for CD and DVD-R media is basic stuff for today’s standards…and we’re talking about expensive machines…

yoshitweaky
Visitor

Hi I have tonight noticed the same issues with my fw51jf. Cant get it to burn above 4x to cd-r and dvd+ rw only at 2.4.

Thats a bit pants as my old acer had no trouble burning way in excess of these speeds and was a cheap laptop.

I have contacted Sony about this and asked for a response. The updated firmware appears to be for a different drive (as stated when you try to run the update)

This isn't really on for a laptop from Sony, it's embarrassing

yoshitweaky
Visitor

this is in relation to the PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-TD01 drive

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

this is in relation to the PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-TD01 drive

Hi yoshitweaky,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Yes it is in regard to the PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-TD01 drive, thanks to VaioPMNS and other users who have raised this issue with vaio support, Sony support Belgium are mow aware of the issue and VGN-FW51JF/H are waiting on news of a solution..

VaioPMNS
Visitor

Thanks to you too, that’s great news, it’s very good that they’re aware and let’s hope a solution comes soon.
Welcome yoshitweaky! The great frustration comes to the fact that our previous inferior laptops, burned things much better than this machine’s drive. We’re paying one hell of a price to have a blu-ray player… I’m still baffled as to how this goes into production without proper testing being done… today I had to burn two cd’s in a nick of time, and I simply could not use this Sony PC …luckily i had an Asus laptop nearby and it burned both in approximately 4 mins...it’s sad.
I also sent a mail to Pioneer Europe last week, but had no feedback. ..
I’m taking the opportunity to thank everybody, and wish you happy holidays! J