Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FZ18M And Vista Home Premium

sabine22
Visitor

VGN-FZ18M And Vista Home Premium

So far I'm fully happy with my new VGN-FZ18M and Vista Home Premium running.
My question, directly after having installed for example Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop, the screen turned dark grey and also turned on the laptop seemed to be like frozen. When re-starting it asked if to start in safe-mode, when bootet up it again froze but the screen remained visible.
After scanning few times Vista finally managed at one point to boot and everything seems to work. This happend now two times. The machine works again but the feeling of that experience makes me to ask if there may be could be something like a hard failure which has to fixed?
What also happens is that quite often when booting, the screen adjustement is changed by itself to 16-Bit, low and I have to reset it to 32 Bit 1280x800 pixel. How this could be possibly fixed? Thanks for any help!

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.pt_PT.title
V57...
Contributor

sabine22
Visitor

No, not yet, I didnt even know what kind of graphic chip it has. Do I have to look it up in the system control in order to download the right version? Thanks for this advice!

V57...
Contributor

Hi sabine22,

Try to update your Vaio with the Vaio Update...

sabine22
Visitor

You mean that the vaio update software detects and notifies if my present graphic chip driver is outdated? It says, at http://support.vaio.eu/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=-1&s=-1&m=2686 nVidia Video Driver 7.15.11.128 should be installed.

V57...
Contributor

Hi sabine22,

The Vaio Update Software detects and install all the updates you need...

sabine22
Visitor

Thanks so much - when installing a graphic driver, do I first have to uninstall the previous one or is Vista able to manage this?

V57...
Contributor

Hi sabine22,

I think it's better...you must uninstall the previous one...

sabine22
Visitor

thanks so much v.57, it worked! I downloaded the nvidia graphic driver, uninstalled the old one, installed the new, re-booted my laptop and things look like it runs nicely.

V57...
Contributor

You're welcome sabine22...