Join now - be part of our community!

VGN NR10E Wireless & BIOS problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
biggtn01
Visitor

VGN NR10E Wireless & BIOS problem

I have installed a clean copy of Vista Ultimate on a VGN NR10E (PCG-7Z2M) All is OK except for the wireless connection using the LAN Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI Adapter. The driver is installed OK and is shown as working in DEVICE MANAGER, my router is detected but when I try to connect to it it fails sighting " Wireless authentication failed because of a time out". My other laptop which uses the same operating system, router  & pass phrase/password works fine without problems. Looking into known problems I see an update of the BIOS seems to refer to this adapter. I have downloaded the BIOS update (EP0000146125) but when I try to run it the "WDFLASH" sytem fails with " Cannot read the system info". 

I would be greatful of any advise.

Message was edited by: biggtn01

I have now overcome the problem of the BIOS update, which is now in place. However the ongoing problem with the wireless remains the same. Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi biggnt01,

I suggest you try some troubleshooting.

Are you able to connect via Ethernet cable?
Try turning off wireless encryption on the router.
Try changing security type and encryption type.
Try temporarily disabling your firewall.
Try changing the SSID.

The above should hopefully narrow down the problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
biggtn01
Visitor

HI Rich,

Thanks for the reply. The internet connection is OK with Network Cable & wireless dongle. Also when encryption is disabled. I have copied the settings from my other laptop (DELL D600) and have managed to get the router to connect but only with "limited access". Have tried a combination of settings but not quite there yet. I will continue to keep trying tomorrow. Again thanks for your help.

regards

GEOFF

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Geoff,

I suspect a firewall problem - try with this disabled.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

One other thought...

Have you checked that WLAN in Vaio Smart Network is set to 2.4GHz?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
biggtn01
Visitor

I have been trying various options of security & encryption as per your suggestion but the only progress so far is with the following settings:- Router set to WPA2-PSK & TKIP and network set to WPA2 Personal & TKIP. This combination connects but with limited access. Also router set to WPA/WPA2 (Mixed Modes) & TKIP and network set to WPA2 personal & TKIP gives the same result... With any other combination I get either "timeout" or "Settings do not match".

Turning off the firewall does not seem to have any effect.

Smart network set to 2.4

The other thing that I have just realised is that I am set up for USA & not UK since reload. Too late in the day to investigate this, will give it some more time tomoorw.

Regards

Geoff

biggtn01
Visitor

After further changes I am suspecting a compatability problem. I have taken the laptop to my sons house and connected to his BT router without problem, He has also brought his ASUS laptop to me and it connects to my SKY router without issue. I have also tried different channels and moved the router to the main BT box where my land line enters the house disconnecting all the house wiring and the fault remains. Frankly at a loss.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I too am at a loss with this, but it would seem to be some sort of compatibility issue.

The only thing I can suggest is that you borrow a different router and see whether your machine and the router will connect on your service.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat