Join now - be part of our community!

vgn-nr21m vista sp2 unknown device?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
robmar0se
Visitor

vgn-nr21m vista sp2 unknown device?

Clean re-install ov Vista - device manager indicates one unknown device - tried all three driver downloads from Vaio.  Location is Intel(R) ICH8M LPC Interface Controller - 2815; Hardware IDs - SNY5001

On some systems I have found that it is the SMBus controller, but Vaio doesn't give the info required to resolve this.  It might be the Sony Firmware Extension Parser, but again no sign of this on the Vaio website?

Note that this laptop doesn't have a webcam.

Appreciate yr help, thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you click on 'Microsoft Vista' under the heading 'Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities', you should see the full list of preinstalled software - starting with SFEP.

SFEP.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi robmar0se and welcome.

SNY5001 will be the Sony Firmware Extension Parser (SFEP) and requires the SFEP Driver to be installed from within Device Manager manually using the 'Have Disc' method of installation.

You will find the driver download under 'Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities' here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NR21M_S/updates

It is the first driver in the list.

:wink:

robmar0se
Visitor

Looks like Sony Canada are more on the ball:  http://esupport.sony.com/CA/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNNR460D&upd_id=3540&os_id=28

I can confirm that the unknown device was the Firmware Extension Parser............

robmar0se
Visitor

Many thanks for yr v fast reply - however on yr link the driver doesn't show for me???  Is there a way on the Vaio website to see additional drivers other than the 3 unrelated items that are shown?  As you can see I did find it elsewhere,

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you click on 'Microsoft Vista' under the heading 'Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities', you should see the full list of preinstalled software - starting with SFEP.

SFEP.jpg

robmar0se
Visitor

OK Thank you - the key word is "pre-installed," which I missed..............I was looking under "latest downloads", silly me!!

Thanks for your expertise - job done!