Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-NR32M/S BSOD after memory Upgrade

VsUK1981
Explorer

VGN-NR32M/S BSOD after memory Upgrade

I contacted Sony with my product specs & ask them what max memory I can use & so forth. They stated max memory is 4gb. So I purchased 2 sticks of DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz CL6 1.8v 2GB 128x8 CHIP. Whilst 1 stick works fine & 1 stick + 1 of the original 1gb sticks works. I cant get both sticks of 2GB to work even though sony says it supports 4gb. 

Maybe I should use 256x64 modules with CL5 1.8v rather than the 128x8?

I think I need to update the bios to the latest one as its never been touched since purchase. The Bios version is R2060J9. 

Machine Name VGN-NR32M_S
Model: PCG-7134M

But I am unable to find anything related to this model & the Bios. Even on Sony's site nothing for BIOS at all. 

Can anyone help as I am trying to revive this laptop for my mother & I am very knowledgable with Computers, just can't quite figure this one out myself.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi VsUK1981 and welcome.

Who did you speak to at Sony?

What make is the memory? We have seen some problems with Corsair modules.

Most places I look at say that the maximum RAM is 2GB (2 X 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 • )

Only one place says 4GB maximum.

Many users here use Crucial memory modules as they guarantee compatibility and we tend to accept their recommendations which you will see is 2GB max.

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Sony/vaio-vgn-nr32m-s

There is no BIOS update for this model.

:thinking:

VsUK1981
Explorer

I'll quote the reply I got directly from sony support!

Dear Mr Cammack

Thank you for your recent email.

Following on your VAIO RAM upgrade query and BIOS software, please note that as per your VAIO model specifications your VAIO internal memory can be upgraded to maximum of 4 GB RAM.

Furthermore, please note that you can check the latest BIOS software version and download it to your VAIO using the following steps :

- Go to www.sony.co.uk and select Support.

-In the search field please type in your VAIO model.

-Select your model and choose your operating system.

-Download BIOS firmware version to your VAIO using the on-screen instructions.

Should you have any further questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Yours sincerely

Emad

Sony customer support

Sony Europe Limited

Email:   via www.sony.co.uk 

Phone:  0207 365 2810

Phone:  VAIO out of warranty - 0905 031 0006 (35p/min plus network charges)

Phone:   Ireland in warranty /out of warranty numbers: 01407 3040 / 1530 501002 (33 cent/min plus network charges)

Sony United Kingdom and Ireland, a division of Sony Europe Limited.

A company registered in England and Wales.  Registered office: 

The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW

Registered company number: 2422874

I gave them the following specs of my laptop asking about BIOS update file & memory.

Serial: 28277064-5020691
Machine Name VGN-NR32M_S
Model: PCG-7134M on the back of the laptop.

So I am confused realy. I can add a 2gb stick & 1 gb stick & it works fine. But I can't add it to 4gb as it bsods at windows loading screen but in BIOS it registers all the 4GB of ram!

Also, on the driver site, I could not find any BIOS file to update my laptop with & it has drivers for 64bit windows 7. Which I finid odd if this laptop only supports 2GB memory so why give 64Bit drivers? 

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'm not sure what to suggest to take this forward.  Hopefully someone else with this model may be able to help.

I see this problem happened before in June 2010 without resolution: -

https://community.sony.lu/t5/pcs-accessories/getting-a-bsod-while-booting-windows-7-vgn-nr32m-s/td-p...

At that time I attached a copy of Sony's own specifications for the VGN-NR32M saying 2GB max.  Unfortunately, Sony no longer show the full specs for this model.

https://community.sony.lu/sonyeu1/attachments/sonyeu1/pc_en_1/48755/1/Mem_NR.JPG

Please let us know if you solve this problem - Thanks.

VsUK1981
Explorer

Well Sony provide for this model 64bit drivers for windows 7 & XP. I don't think there's any BIOS update as usually I find it after a few searches on google but nothing. 

As for the memory, Its stable running Windows 10 32bit with 3GB of ram 1x 1GB 1x2GB so there specifications must be wrong otherwise I wouldn't be able to push it up to 3GB. But it just seems very backward thinking by sony as this laptop is newer than a samsung laptop I have & that upgrades to 4GB & has a more functional BIOS for editing power levels & compatibility. This I think was a laptop pushed together with leftovers to put to market as a bog standard laptop with very little upgradability or reliability.

Anyways, Mother's happy with the SSD, windows 10 & 3GB ram so it should last her another 3 or 4 years hopefully lol