Join now - be part of our community!

VGN_NR38E/s touchpad

profile.country.en_GB.title
andyc1980
Visitor

VGN_NR38E/s touchpad

hey guys got given a vaio model number mentioned above, and initiall it had a broken power jack so i replaced that plus the hdd was ko'd so that got replaced too. Any how i tried reinstalling windows 7 onto the laptop and noticed that the touchpad wasnt working correctly, (would only find the top section) so i purchased a new top plastics which included the touchpad, anyway long story short its still the same as it was before i changed the plastics, i was just wondering there is a bank of 4 switches next to the touchpad connector is this to do with the settings/alignment of the touchpad if so what should it be set as,

many thanks in advance

Andy

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Andy,

After installing Win7 did you install the pointing device driver for your model from Support?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
andyc1980
Visitor

hi rich to be honest i stopped installing it half way through as i gather the machine was faulty and its just sat here currently

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Andy,

It may very well be a hardware problem but it would be wise to eliminate a driver problem by installing the correct touchpad driver.

Update this from within Device manager – the device will probably be listed as a PS/2 mouse under 'mice and other pointing devices'.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-NR38E_S

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.

Click Start > Control Panel.

Double click Device Manager.

Right click the device and select Properties

Click the Driver tab.

Click Update Driver.

Click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Let me pick from a list...

Click Have Disk....

Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files.

Click OK.

Click Next.

Click Finish.

Reboot your system if requested.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
andyc1980
Visitor

ok thanks rich will give this a try now

andyc1980
Visitor

hi rich went through that and its still doing the same tried both a 64 bit version of windows 7 and a 32 bit version 

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Andy,

Well at least you seem to have eliminated a software problem.

To go back to your original post I have no idea what the bank of four switches are for. Unless a new ribbon cable was supplied with the replacement touchpad that may possibly be the problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
andyc1980
Visitor

ok tahnks rich a new ribbon cable was supplied think i might strip it again and heat the area with my rework station see if that does anything thanks for the help