Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-S3HP - Matshita UJ-822Da v1.0 optical drive problem

profile.country.ES.title
pepe10000
New

VGN-S3HP - Matshita UJ-822Da v1.0 optical drive problem

Hi everybody,

I bought my VGN-S3HP three months ago and now my optical drive (Matshita UJ-822Da 1.0) cannot read original DVD films (8.5GB). Basically, it doesn't recognise that DVD disks.

I did all this:

1) System Restore to a Restore point where the Vaio was working fine.

2) A Clean Boot of Windows, to see if there are any processes or programs which are blocking the access to the DVD.

3) I checked in the Device Manager if there are no exclamation mark or question mark next to the drive, but there is no problem there.

4) I also reinstalled the driver.

5) Finally, I did a system recovery using the VAIO Recovery Tool to left the notebook at same state when I bought it, and nothing happened; the optical drive was working same wrong than before the system recovery.

And my results were these:

1) None of methods worked.

2) My results are these:

a) The optical drive can read CD's (original and CD-R) and write CD's too. Although, sometimes, the optical drive can detect the original music CDs, it doesn't read them in a good way; it has problems and it freezes a bit whem I jump from one song to another one.

b) The optical drive can read DVD's (only DVD-R and DVD-RW) and write DVD-R/RW too. Moreover, sometimes the optical drive doesn't recognise the DVD-R and I have to expulse and reintroduce the DVD-R (4.7GB) again to achieve that the system recognise it. It seems to work well with DVD-Rs from Sony, LG, Verbatim and TDK, but gives me problems with the BASF-EMTEC mark, recorded before.

c) The optical drive NEVER can read original DVD films, now; and I think that the problem could be that these are dual layer DVDs (8.5GB) and the optical drive has problems to read them; although it has sometimes problems to read single layer recorded DVD-R (4.7GB) too now, like I told you above.

Then, do you think that this is a Hardware problem?

Could be a firmware problem of the optical drive (MATSHITA UJ-822Da v1.0)?

Could you help me, please?

Thank you very much floks.

14 REPLIES 14
TygerTyger
Visitor

They can take a while on eSupport, I'd try calling instead. They can't put it off that way.

profile.country.ES.title
pepe10000
New

Then, do you recommend me call them instead of use the E-support web site?

I have readen a lot around the Web that the calling system doesn't work very well, :cry: so I dont know what to do.

I am so sad with this problem, and I dont know how to manage it.

Should I wait for the E-support reply?

Has anyone a good Customer Support from Sony inside their Warranty Time?

Thany you a lot folks.

profile.country.ES.title
pepe10000
New

Should I wait until the optical drive break definitly to have any support from Sony?

:cry:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would definately call them

profile.country.ES.title
pepe10000
New

Hi folks,

Thank you very much by all your advices.

Finally, it was a hardware failure, and after create a Case, Sony VAIO repaired my notebook without problems neither fees.

So, I am very happy again.

Take it easy!!!
Torakaru.