Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-Z21MN/B WiFi Adapter Replacement

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
MarkJsy
Visitor

VGN-Z21MN/B WiFi Adapter Replacement

Hi,

I have a VGN-Z21MN/B which is about 20 months old.  The WiFi adapter fails intermittently and goes from working perfectly, to no available networks, to no adapter present at all.  I have tried upgrading drivers, Sony Easy Network utility and have restored the laptop to factory image (Vista Business).

I also followed the FAQ from the Sony Support team but had no success fixing it.

I have also tried different power management settings, disabling power management on the adapter altogether, etc.

I have resigned myself to replacing the card which I have already received - an Intel WiFi Link 533 series.

The problem is that I stripped the laptop down as much as I dare, but I still cannot access the adapter to replace it.  There is a plastic 'gasket' (for want of a better term) running around the inside of the chassis which prevents access to the components beneath it.  I have remove all of the screws on the bottom of the outer casing, and those beneath the keyboard once removed, but no way to get beneath the 'gasket'.

Can someone please help with instuctions?

Thanks,

Mark

P.S.  My level of knowledge is fairly extensive. MCSE, A+ so I think I've covered all the Windows bases.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mark,

Yes, you have to remove the palmrest frame and you will find the WiFi module on the left - between the Hard Disks and the fan.

Sadly this is not straightforward and you are going to need the disassembly instructions which are 2.65MB in PDF format.  If you send me an email address by PM, I will send the disassembly instructions to you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mark,

Yes, you have to remove the palmrest frame and you will find the WiFi module on the left - between the Hard Disks and the fan.

Sadly this is not straightforward and you are going to need the disassembly instructions which are 2.65MB in PDF format.  If you send me an email address by PM, I will send the disassembly instructions to you.

ltinhvv
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

I've got the same problem and need your instructions, please. You've got a PM, thanks

incisive12
Visitor

Ive got the same problem and also, if i put pressure around where the wifi card is located (around a,s,d,f keys), the laptop will cut off as if shorted.  Im guessing this is a common problem.  Can I get the pdf too please!!

Thanks

incisive12
Visitor

Did you ever resolve this issue? if so, how? Any pointers would be great.

Thanks

joes1999999
Visitor

same problem, intermittent  wi fi...switch is on but isnt connecting... same for thousands of sony viaos acrooss the ranges and from old to one week old machines... and no solutions as yet... starting  to think sony are using a cheap wi fi card in the over expensive laptops...

anyone from sony care to comment ??

i hope we can get an answer .. i'm starting to get the picture this is a global problem for sony viaos

charlie360
Visitor

I've got an overheating problem and would like to dis-assemble my machine and re-seat the heat sink ontop of the CPU to see if that helps, so suspect that I may well be helped by the instructions too please? Will try to PM you too!

arturaip
Visitor

Hello Balencogo,

Is it possible to get the disassembly instruction in pdf if you can find a moment of your time i really could do with a little help as i am having issue with a none detectable wifi card i just wonder if its broken and if so how to go about replacing it by taking apart the vaio z safely. 

Many Thanks.