Join now - be part of our community!

VGX XL 302 No Sound from HDMI

GadgetFreak
Visitor

VGX XL 302 No Sound from HDMI

Just set-up my new XL 302, got most things working after a fair bit of messing about, but cannot solve this last one.

No Audio of any type from the HDMI port to my Samsung LCD TV, Audio drivers say they are installed and working ok, I can get sound via the headphones socket from the PC, so the drivers look as though they are working. That leaves me with the question does the sound actually get output from the PC through the HDMI socket or do you actually have to use a SP/DIF optical out to get sound. If so I will be really hacked off.

Anyone come across the probelm or similar, checked Audio from all the HDMI's and the HDMI ports work ok, so thats out too!!!!

Any pointers much appreciated.

Cheers

Gadget Freak!

34 REPLIES 34
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi everyone,

Sony European Support have asked me find out if there is NO SOUND AT ALL through HDMI - no Vista Sounds, no sample sounds from the Audio menu, nothing from WMP files or is it just during Video Playback.

While we wait for Sony Support can you all check the following so we know where we are starting from: -

1. HDMI sound input on a TV can usually be set to Auto/Analogue/Digital - make sure Auto or Digital is set in your TV menu.
2. Check your Vaio is set to output 2 channel L.PCM audio in the Sound Reality Control Panel.
3. Check Dolby Digital is turned Off in the Supported Formats tab in Control Panel -> Sound -> Digital Output -> Properties
4. Check your TV supports sampling frequencies which are also supported by your Vaio. Usually 48kHz, 44.1kHz - you will probably need to uncheck 96kHz in supported formats.

:thinking:

Bluetimber
Visitor

Hi Again Blencogo,

I can confirm on my setup VGX-XL301 & Toshiba 32C3030 LCD TV I have NO sound via HDMI from any media source. I have tried TV set to auto & digital.
My Vaio is set to output 2 channel. I cannot see a way to set to PCM I have no aplet called sound reality I have searched my Vaio.
My TV does support 48kHz, 44.1kHz & these are the only ones selected although I have tried all.
As stated in a previous post my TV receives Audio fine via HDMI from my PS3 & Sky HD box.

I hope this may be of help.

Regards

Steve.

h4
Visitor

HI BLUETIMBER

i have the same set up (tosh & 301).... had exactly the same problem.... on the tv menu go to menu, set up, av connection, HDMI1 audio, hold "ok" for 4 or 5 secs, when you get he lip sync latency menu, set it to off.. Voila

Bluetimber
Visitor

WOW h4,

You are the Man, that worked to perfection I now have sound via HDMI from my VGX-XL301

Thanks for your help

Steve.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks h4 - that's the Toshiba problem sorted. All we need to do now is the same for the Samsung problem.

I bet is will be a similar solution. Have you all had a close look at your TV's HDMI settings?

For the Samsung M86 Series have you tried using the HDMI2 socket instead of HDMI1? HDMI1 is a 1.3 Version socket which supports lip-sync where HDMI2 can support older, non-lip-sync formats.
Have you set the TV Input Audio Format to PCM?
D.MENU -> SETUP -> Audio Format -> PCM

:thinking:

GadgetFreak
Visitor

First time I have had a chance to look at the thread, since posting it.

I have looked at the settings on the Samsung, I am currently using the HDMI 2 socket for the PC and HDMI 1 for Sky and HDMI 3 for the PS3, I have changed them all around, but with no success. Sky and PS3 work fine on all 3 sockets.

The Samsung D Menu button displays "Not Available" on HDMI sockets, however you can access it from the DTV source, but this is set to PCM as default with the option of Dolby Digital.

I can confirm I can get sound through the Phono connections and the headphones socket.

No sound whatsoever, from any application through the HDMI ports 1,2 or 3 to the XL302

Please Note the Sound Device in the XL302 is a SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec (set to S/PDIF/HDMI as default. Changed all the settings in here also to no avail.

Hope that helps to clarify where we are at.

Cheers
Gadget Freak

Gadget Freak

davicol
Visitor

Hi
I'll try to find PCM input format as suggested on samsung menu this evening.

I've send also an E-mail to samsung asking if they know the problem with vaio and if evenually I need a firmware upgrade

I've found a new NVIDIA DRIVER that seem better than 158.24 :slight_smile:
160.04 WHQL http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1660

davicol
Visitor

Hi
I've tried to change HDMI port, checked audio setting and other thinks on my TV without success, No audio 😞
I've seen in some thread that there was problem with samsung and playstation or other console solved with a TV Firmware upgrade. Firmware upgrade can performed only from Samsung support not directly from end user.

Gadget Freak can you check your firmware? I've 1009 version and I know that samsung have now 1010 version but I don't know if a firmware upgrade can solve the audio problem.

here the procedure for check firmware version on samsung:
Switch the TV into standby, press info -> menu -> mute on the remote and then turn the tv back on. Make a note of the lines that start in

T-TLP (the last four digits on this line are your firmware version)
T-BDP (last four digits are software version)
BORD2 (I think this is the mobo version & has a lot to do with the EDID)
For more detail:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511377

My setting are:
T-TLP 1009
T-BDP 1004
BORD2 1004

Cheers
Davide

davicol
Visitor

Any new from sony for sound problems with samsumg full HD ?

thanks
Davide

heaf
Visitor

Ahhhhhh... Four days to find this info but now I have sound. Thanks Brilliant!