Join now - be part of our community!

VGX-XL201 => Who install 4Gb RAM on their VGX ?

profile.country.fr_BE.title
fremaas
New

VGX-XL201 => Who install 4Gb RAM on their VGX ?

Hello,

I would like to know who has install 4Gb of RAM on their Vaio VGX-XL?
I read on the user's guide that the maximum RAM supported was 3Gb but
I think that I see on the sign-off that some people have install 4Gb.
If I'm right, I really appreciate that people who install 4Gb tell whichone
they install. Thanks a lot for your help !

Gladiateur555

3 REPLIES 3

3Gb ram was the max you could use with XP and 32 Bit Vista. I seem to remember that Windows 7 32 bit allows 4gb and 64 bit Win 7 / Vista & Server 2008 something crazy like 128gb can't remember the exact amount.

profile.country.fr_BE.title
fremaas
New

Hello Charlie,

Thanks for your answer. I know perfectly what are the limits than each Operating System can manage. All 32 bits can manage 3 Gb and not more even that Vista SP1 32 bits or Win 7 32 bits can show you that you have 4 Gb install, they can't use it really. You need a 64 bits OS to use completely.

So my question was not about the software restriction but hardware. I read in the user's manual that 3 Gb was the max but I think that some people on this forum reach to install 4 Gb and if I'm right I would like to know wich Ram they use.

Gladiateur555

It is nothing specific to the Sony, it is a chipset issue in terms of the physical consrtraints. You get DDR2 667 as standard and the chipset also supports 800 the maximum supported size of memory is 2gb. So if you want you can install 8gb of DDR2 800 memory. But as you already you would need to use 64bit. It is a bit confussing that the Sony spec lists 3gb as the Maximum ram , but I guess it is beacause they only sell with 32bit OSes

I read something ages ago about using the memory above 3gb as a RAM DISK, but never really followed this through. It could be interesting but would need a bit of research.