Join now - be part of our community!

Video playing problems with Sony Vaio VPCEB2Z0E/BQ

profile.country.en_GB.title
Lloydteddy
Visitor

Video playing problems with Sony Vaio VPCEB2Z0E/BQ

I recently purchased a Sony Vaio VPCEB2Z0E/BQ laptop and almost straight away I noticed, after completing the set up, that there is a problem when I try to watch videos using via the internet.  When playing videos the image becomes temporarily distorted but then returns to normal, usually in less than a few seconds.  However this cycle repeats continuously while watching videos and it seems to occur more frequently when watching videos at higher definitions, but even at standard def the problem still occurs.

I have played videos which are saved on my hard drive and they run just fine with no interuptions to the picture and I have used the hard ware diagnostic tool built in to the Vaio Recovery centre software suite to check the graphics card and have found a fault as one of the tests part of the 'video' diagnostic test failed.  I also experience similar poor picture quality when watching DVDs on my laptop and have slightly different graphical bugs when playing games.  I have inserted some screen shots, below, to show what I mean when I say the picture is distorted.

I have the most up to date graphics drivers for my laptop and flash version to my knowledge, but I don't know what do to to rectify the problem, if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW the screenshots of starcraft 2 are from a video, it is not me playing the game on my computer.

Pic 5.png

Pic 4.png

Pic 3.png

Pic 2.png

Picture 1.png

Message was edited by: Lloydteddy

14 REPLIES 14
RickTew
Visitor

Hello,

I have the same error on my brand new Sony VPCZ136GH :slight_frown:

I get video errors when editing or watching HD video in Adobe Premier and video is BLACK (though I can still hear sound) in Starcrat 2.

If I find something, I will jump back in - if anyone has some suggestions, that would be GREAT too.

Thanks in advance,

Have a great HOLIDAY!

R2

jodi598
Visitor

Oh my goodness I thought I was the only one in the world with this problem!

Got a new Vaio VPCEB3F4E for xmas- worked fine xmas day etc- fella watches a lot of NHL Ice hockey and we first noticed the issue on this site- exactly the same issues your discribing, broken lines down the screen and pants picture quality- othe rvideos play fine but not the ice hockey ones we wanted to watch- took the lap top back to pc world on new years eve, a lovely lad couldn't figure out the problem but he took it back to a factory reset and the NHL highlights played fine- I was so excited!  By new years day, when microsoft or whever send their updates to the system, the ones you cant stop of course, the screen is all broken again while watching the video's....so frustrated I took the lap top back again and they put it down to an error and replaced the laptop- again the computer worked fine and we enjoyed the NHL highlights as we had before- AGAIN a  few days later, more standard updates, and the website videos wont play again!!  I wanted to cry.. trekked down to PC world again and they advised I get my money back and swap to a HP/Toshiba lap top as it must be a sony encoder fault ( I am not the best with IT so Im not exactly sure what that emans!)

The thing is, I love the laptop- its pretty and girly and white and I dont see how this error cant be fixed by sony!!  ( maybe thats me being naive!?)

SO ive got 28 days to find a resolution for this issue or I will ahve to give up on sony and swap to HP/Toshiba as they advised at PC world.

PLEASE HELP!!

xxx

Lloydteddy
Visitor

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply, I never thought anyone would reply to my thread after waiting weeks after I posting it.  I thought I had made some progress in trying to solve my problem as I had contacted sony about this during the christams holidays.  I was able to speak to a sony repair agent through an instant messaging feature of this website, explaining my problem.  He asked me to run a hardware diagnostic test using the Vaio Care program that came preinstalled with my laptop.  One of the tests failed and he report that this would justify them taking the laptop away to be repaired.

So when I sent my laptop off to be repaired I was so joyful in thinking that my problems would finally be over.  However a few days after the laptop arrived at the repair centre, I received a call from sony saying that they had run some diagnostic tests and could find no hardware fault with the computer.  So I tried explaining to the person what problems I had been experiencing in the hope that they would be able to inform the technicians and they would be able to see the problem for themselves and come up with a solution... this was not the case.  A few days later I get another call from sony saying they still couldn't find a fault with the laptop and their only recommendation was that I installed some program called codec.

So when the laptop was returned to me the problem was still persisting.  I installed the program as they had recommended but it made no difference.  I ran the same hardware diagnostic test using the Vaio Care program and the laptop failed the same test that I had reported to the repair agent before sending it away.  I don't understand how the laptop could pass their tests but not pass a test run by a program installed on the laptop.  I am going to contact sony again soon to try and send it back again.

So I am sorry that I can't be of that much help, my only advice is try to harass sony to get them to take it away to be repaired or take it back and get a refund.  I too feel really let down by this whole issue, I can't seem to use my laptop for much other than work and checking my email, I can't play DVDs or watch videos over the internet without this coming up and I have other issues when trying to play games.  I may upload some more screenshots showing DVDs and games being run on the laptop.

The annoying thing is sony probably doesn't pay people to read the forum threads to try and help people with their problems and I feel that without sony seeing the screenshots that I have posted they won't understand my problem.

jodi598
Visitor

\hey I have great news!!

I have just phoned Sony again, one last chance before I retunred the laptop for another model and a lovely tech person has fixed the problem!

Apparently it is an issue with the model that has only just come to light and if you go on this link:

I cant copy and paste the flaming thing- send me your email address again and I will forward the link- you accept the terms etc then download the file-

turn off your computer for 30 seconds and back on again and hey presto!  it works!!!!

so happy!  It has renewed my faith in Sony when I was on the brink of bad mouthing them to the world- the tech girl was lovely and very patient with me bless her!

Hopefully it will work for you too- !!

Cheers for being a shoulder to cry on!!

Jodi

xx

profile.country.GB.title
naveen478
New

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-monitor-and-video-card-problems

This link might help you, once u instal this file it better to restart the browser

if u still cant find the solution then try like this...

Go to Start and in the Search box type power options. Click the appropriate link in the search results to open the Power Options window, and then click on Change plan settings against which ever profile you have selected. Next, go to Change advanced settings, scroll down to Multimedia settings and expand this to find When playing video. Once again expand this and choose Optimize video quality

LloydTwoscoops
Visitor

Hi Jodi

I've got exactly the same problem and it's driving me up the wall!!

Any chance you could let me have the link?

Cheers

Mike

profile.country.GB.title
saharid99
New

Hi Jodi,

I have a VPCEB4C5E laptop and it has the same problem.Can you please send me the link you have mentioned in your post so that I can check if the solution works for me?

Thanks,

Salil

Lloydteddy
Visitor

I was eventually able to get my laptop fixed by sony, but not without a great deal of my personal time spent trying to explain to them what was wrong with my laptop.  In the end what I was able to do was send them a document showing screenshots of my problem and explaining the circumstances around the situation.  I advise that any who has commented on this thread with similar problems or anyone who views this thread in the future do the same as I think it's the only way they can understand this problem.

I hope you all are successful in fixing your related problems and if you ever have similar problems with computers in the future just return it to the store you got it from ASAP after you notice the problem and get a new laptop, it just saves a lot of time that I know most people don't want  to spend hassling sony customer support.

tidaltides
Visitor

Do you think this type of problem is coming from your GPU? Getting your screen colors mixed up is surely a problem in your hardware that needs to be replaced.