Join now - be part of our community!

Vista Home Premium WLAN Connectivity Issues

kkyrits
Visitor

Vista Home Premium WLAN Connectivity Issues

Hello,

I'm facing some problems with setting up a VAIO FZ31Z (with the sony preinstalled Vista Home Premium of course) for accessing my LAN via the wifi link. The problem is that there seems to be some kind of transparent protection going on. I'm trying to access the web server or the ftp server or the Samba shares of a Linux box inside my LAN. The symptoms are that no matter the fact that I can ping the Linux box from the VAIO, and there is full and proper connectivity to the outside world (Internet via the same WIFI ADSL ap/router), I completely cannot access the webserver (the web browser keeps trying to open the location forever, either IE or Firefox, until it times out), I can partially use the ftp server (changing dir and doing dir listings works, but not transfering files from the host), and I can also partially use the Samba Shares. I can browse the shared folders, I can grab non .exe files from them, but I cannot browse to folders that contain .exe files nor can I grab .exe files (if I request them using a full smb path).

All these problems automagically go away if I simply turn off the Wireless connection and connect to the same LAN via ethernet cable. I've double checked the Windows Firewall settings, even tried switching it off completely, and I've manually made the TCP/IP settings for connecting the VAIO to the LAN and WLAN, they are pretty much the same apart from the IP address. The WIFI ap/router definitely doesn't block anything.

There seems to be some kind of "transparent" extra protection setting for the WLAN, coming from Vista perhaps ? I spent the whole weekend Googling it, but didn't come up with something useful. I am a bit suspicious on Norton, which however never used. One of the very first things I did after purchasing the VAIO (that was last week) was to immediatelly uninstall it, but I don't know if it had any default protection settings that stayed in place even after uninstalling it.

Can anyone provide some help ? Thanks in advance.

0 REPLIES 0