Join now - be part of our community!

Vista is here. Where are the Drivers?

ayu61200
Visitor

Vista is here. Where are the Drivers?

The subject of this thread says it all.

Sony, where are the drivers? I paid 1700 Euros for my FE11S half a year ago. I think it's more than about time for Sony to release drivers "Vista compatible". Everything works but the power management features, lowering the bright of the screen and so on, among others, is NOT working which means I can't use Vista on batteries properly because the screen's maximum brightness eats the whole battery quickly.

Am I asking too much for a 1700 Euros laptop? Is this the kind of after sales service I can expect from the all mighty Sony? Vista RTM is already shipping, and I'm still waiting for Vista drivers, whilst there's a cute and nice "Windows vista" features icon in the vaio-link.com page. It's even ironic. Starting to feel too much dissapointed about all this...

78 REPLIES 78
profile.country.GR.title
apparas
New

Good morning from Greece, I have just buoght a sony vaio sz3xp notebook on the the 1st of November. In Greece all shops offer free upgrade to windows vista, for customers who bought their pc after the end of October 2006. Will Sony do the same? or I have to buy Vista by my self?

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi aparske,

Please check http://vista.vaio-link.com

KR,
Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
gavinw
Visitor

Hi all,

Sony will not release any drivers before Vista will be in the shops. Therefore there is no need to keep on asking.

KR,
Nico

Not questioning the accuracy of the post... definitely questioning the acceptability.

Vista is RTM.. .that means that manufacturers are today sending out PC through the channel supply chain with Vista on them. Yet the huge amount of people who have bought vista capable machines are still stuck without support.

ayu61200
Visitor

Ranting about the lack of immediate vista driver support is unlikely to produce the solution you want.  You will simply have to wait until Sony release drivers for your computer.

Well, maybe I rant because it's all I can do atm. People with the 160gb fujitsu hard drive click also rant. Lately it seems there's a lot of ranting regarding Vaio. Am I mistaken or isn't Vaio supposed to be the state of the art portable PC system? At least that's how Sony advertises it - just wish it'd be true and Sony execs actually bother reading this forum. Just that hope makes me feel quite better... anyway I'll also wait as you state.

For the topic starter, your problem is exactly the same as mine

Thanks for the link. I'm now reading all this and trying TX series drivers to find out wether it works. I'll post results here.

Edit: The TX3 drivers didn't work out. The result is exactly the same - The Fn keys do not work, the OSD pops up but I can only go up and down one block. I guess it does work on the TX3 but not with FE series... The Sony Alps pointing device works fine despite the nags Vista shows. It's blocked at starup but if you run it, works fine. Only the Fn keys and advanced power managements are left to get working... hope I can get more than 1hr. of battery life by then.

Thanks everybody for your feedback! At least Vaio users are up to the brand's reputation.

kee-lo_

Vista is RTM.. .that means that manufacturers are today sending out PC through the channel supply chain with Vista on them. Yet the huge amount of people who have bought vista capable machines are still stuck without support.

This only really applies to DeLL and other manufacturers but they have the drivers and support in place. Sony sell to the retail sector so they can only release the drivers in February 2007 when Vista is scheduled for public release.

steve_parkes
Visitor

A little dissapointing. What about those of us who are already installing vista for customers? When do we get support?

kee-lo_

I know, I totally agree, but I'm not a Sony employee, so they don't listen to me.

robpaxton
Explorer

A little dissapointing.  What about those of us who are already installing vista for customers?  When do we get support?

Surely the onus would be on you to ensure that drivers etc. are available before installing the o/s.

Sony aren't alone in waiting until Vista is released to the general population before starting to release drivers. Try finding HP, Toshiba, or Dell specific drivers

Unfortunately driver develoment and testing takes time and I would guess that Sony are doing what every other oem is doing; concentrating on producing drivers for models that ship with Vista or are part of the upgrade coupon promotion.

philfree
Visitor

Try finding HP, Toshiba, or Dell specific drivers.

Take a look here

robpaxton
Explorer

Do us a favour, find the Dell & HP ones too :laughing: