Join now - be part of our community!

Vista Sound Delay - anyone?

skykit84
New

Vista Sound Delay - anyone?

Hi all,

Anyone have sound delay in Vista?

I'm talking about more of the system sounds that get played. I have not yet tried a DVD but I know streaming off youtube for instance is fine, everything is in sync (video / audio) but not the windows sound

Way to check is click ONCE on the volume icon near the clock and drag the bar some where near the top
normally- instantly you will hear a beep representing how loud you set it

on mine, it is around a second before it does it

Then, control panel>sounds
select any of the sounds there (asterix maybe) and click play
play will depress, and popout, then the sound will play a second later

This is REALLY annoying because when you click a website link, the click happens after the new page has loaded
or even worse, if you go to system and uncheck all the visual features (just as a test) using space bar (selct one, spacebar, press down arrow, space bar and so on all the way down)
the delay in this sound it makes stutters and has to catch up. you can press OK and go back to brwsing the net and its still trying to catch up?

Google brought up only one relevant link and that was sigmatel too but unfortuntly the site n longer exists

if someone can test this out in their vista's please? I may reinstall to the sony restore just to see if this was there then... but i'm a bit cautious now as i've activated vista 4 times now (4 reinstalls in tests)

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
skykit84
New

Nevermind fixed

Basically, the original driver that comes with Vista is a "high definition Audio CODEC" which works perfectly fine
However, I updated it (and Vista liked it) to the Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC which is what comes with the Sony pack

When using the original driver with Vista, its fine, no delays
When using the Sony driver with Vista, there is a delay

To solve this, you have two choices:-
1. Use the original driver supplied - Although not sure if theres any adverse affects... maybe incompatible with things like MSN? who knows

2. Use the Sony driver BUT DISABLE "System Effects" which is in control panel>sounds>double click on the sound applet (speakers/headphones) and then effects tab
This solves the issue. Not sure exactly what "system effects" are but I cant notice anything at all with it on/off

Hope this helps anyone with similar issues