Join now - be part of our community!

Vista + SZ4XWN Woes

skykit84
New

Vista + SZ4XWN Woes

Hi all,

I got this SZ4XWN/C last week to replace a faulty SZ2XP/C I had in the year
It came with a Vista restore pre-installed and naturally, I decided to format and reinstall a clean version of Vista.

This is working fine and much much better than the restore Sony give (with all the junk)

I've noticed a few annoyances which I did not notice in the beta Vista I was testing on the SZ2XP last year

1. constant HD activity - Is this the indexing service? If so, is there any downsides to disabling it? I know I never bothred in XP to have this enabled but not sure if Vista would have any issues?

2. Battery life - I'm getting just over an hour from start to finish in battery. I started today at 9:15am at 100%, its 10:02am and its got 45% now. Infact, its starting to drop 1% every 2 minutes or so.
This is with WIFI/BT on and screen to moderate brightness.
On the SZ2XP I had atleast 2-3 hours using XP but this one barely gives me 1.5 hours?
The only thing I can think of is that the constant HD activity or core2duo cpu?

3. More to the laptop... fans are still CONSTANTLY on. CPU is around 55c temp upwards but noisy fans are still here

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

1) Indexing Services just makes searching for a file faster, disable it - I do :slight_smile:

2) I think it's more likely to be a lot of HDD activity, once you turn off IS you'll see better performance battery wise (and probably resource wise too).

3) Again, it's probably the HDD activity, it's like encoding a video, uses a lot of CPU/HDD movements and RAM.

skykit84
New

Well I disabled it but no luck with the fans
Infact, I've had a 900mb file on download but the server its coming from is quite slow so only been getting around 200kb/s
I left it on download with nothing but outlook 2007 in the background

Fell asleep but in the instances that I've woken up briefly several times, I noticed thta the fans have been spinning non stop!

I woke up at 10pm properly, its 10:11 now, and the fans have not as of yet stopped

i almost miss using the HP now which I had as a temp. that never turned the fan on unless it needed to
just as small laptop, just slightly thicker than this so size is not the issue!