Join now - be part of our community!

VPCCW1S1E random crashes

profile.country.sv_SE.title
randomavaliblename
Visitor

VPCCW1S1E random crashes

The computer crashes randomly after being on for a few minutes up to an hour. It obviously crashes faster if I run programs. It's not a reboot or blue-screen, it just flat-out dies.

Steps I've taken so far to try and isolate the problem:

• Disassembled the computer and thoroughly cleaning it.
  • New HDD and latest drivers
  • New RAM (same kind as the original)
  • Tried without the battery / without the adapter
  • Running in safemode
  • Tried both different avalible BIOS versions (Y5-R02110Y5 and R0190Y5)

I've monitored the CPU temperatures and the results is: Idle, 46°C but after a while it suddenly jumps up to about 89 before the CPU fan starts and puts it back to ~46° again. While stressing the system, it will go up to 92-93 degrees before it shutsdown.

I've compared the temps to what's stated on intels homepage about the cpu and 90°C is what's stated there.

I've also noticed that the CPU voltages is jumping between 0.8750v, 1.0000v and 1.1250v. Not sure if that's normal.

BIOS ver. R0190Y5 seems to be for fixing unexpected shutdowns. My first thought was that when it installed the Y5-R02110Y5, that bug appeared, but then downgrading should've solved it?

According to DxDiag, my BIOS version is 08.00.10 but I'm guessing that is just dxdiag not finding the correct data.

I've searched the web for similar problems with the Vaio VPCCW1S1E, the Core 2 Duo P450 and GeForce 230M but I can't find any info about it, so any help, tips or solutions are very much appreciated. Buying a new CPU fan and trying is a last resort I'd rather avoid.

Thanks,

Jerry

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jerry,

You have been very thorough with troubleshooting and the conclusion would seem to be that either the fan or temperature sensor that activates the fan is faulty.

If the temperature is reaching 89 before the fan kicks in I suspect a sensor problem but it may just be that the fan itself is faulty. You would certainly expect to hear the fan at any temperature over 60.

Unfortunately this is a suck it and see situation and unless it is still under warranty I would initially go with a new fan.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat