Join now - be part of our community!

VPCEB1Z0E/B running hot using external display

profile.country.en_GB.title
unklex
Visitor

VPCEB1Z0E/B running hot using external display

I've had this vaio for a couple of years and it's served me well. It's had some basic upgrades, more ram etc and has generally been running fine. I recently bought a new monitor  (philips 244E compatible with win7) to use when at home using the hdmi connection.

Everything has been working ok but the fan has been doing overtime. This is only apparent when the laptop is plugged into the external display so I'm wondering if that graphics card is at it's limits (I don't use the computer for gaming). I dusted out the back a few months ago so that shouldn't be the problem.

What I'd like to know is if it is likely that the graphics card is the cause of computer running hot; if so is it possible to upgrade the graphics card and what is recommended. If not what else might be the source of the problem.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi unklex.

Try downloading a utility program like PC Wizard.  This will show the temperatures of your CPU, GPU and HDD and should let you see what, if anything is overheating.

http://download.cnet.com/PC-Wizard-2012/3000-2094_4-10793737.html

Closing the lid may cause a laptop to overheat - I presume you are not shutting the lid to watch DVDs or the like?

Unfortunately, the graphics chip is not upgradeable as it is soldered into the motherboard.  Let's see what the temperatures tell us.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
unklex
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

Thanks for your reply.

system temps are listed below .These were taken when the laptop was pretty much idle.

Hardware Monitoring :    ACPI

TZ00 :    47 °C

TZ01 :    47 °C

:   

Hardware Monitoring :    Sony ACPI

TS1R :    47 °C

:   

Processor Voltage :   

Voltage :    0.744 V

:   

Processor Intel Core i5 :    Sensor DTS

Core 1 :    46 °C

Core 2 :    45 °C

:   

Chipset PCH :   

PCH :    59 °C

GMCH :    53 °C

:   

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 :    ATI Catalyst Driver

Temperature :    52 °C

Fan :    30.0%

:   

Hard Disk Monitoring :    S.M.A.R.T

Hard Disk ST95005620AS :    37 °C

The fan now seems to be running high and noisy most of the time so I'm not sure it is graphics cards. Where do I find info on optimum running temperatures and I'm not sure how to compare these results. Could it be that the fan needs changing?

Thanks again