Join now - be part of our community!

VPCEC2S0E Runs like a dog - VAIO Media Plus is the culprit!

profile.country.en_GB.title
peterclong
Visitor

VPCEC2S0E Runs like a dog - VAIO Media Plus is the culprit!

Hi,

Our VAIO runs like a dog since we started using VAIO Media Plus to stream digital photos to the TV via the PS3. The CPU seems to spend about 20% of it's time servicing 2 processes; "VAIO Entertainment Database Service" and "VAIO Media Plus Database Manager"  and thedisk I/O is going crazy; 400KB/sec I/O writes to the soh_core.db. The disk is constantly in action, the processor fan runs constantly and the overall performance is rubbish!

Has anyone else experienced this and what can we do to stop this performance hogging software?

Attached screenshot shows the huge amount of I/O that these processes are executing.

Nice looking laptop, very poor performance!!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You could always disable Vaio Media Plus if you do not want it to run - you can always enable at any time in the future.

To disable Vaio Media Plus: -

1. Click on the Windows start menu and then click on the control  panel. Click on the "System and Security" header and then click on the  "Administrative Tools" tab at the bottom of the system and security  menu.
2. Double-click on the 'Services' shortcut found in the  administrative tools folder. Locate the following Vaio Media services  within the service menu:
  • VAIO Entertainment Database Service
  • VAIO Entertainment File Import Service
  • VAIO Media Plus Content Importer
  • VAIO Media Plus Device Searcher
  • VAIO Media Plus Digital Media Server
3. Right-click on the instance and then click "Properties."  Locate the start type field, which is found on the "General" tab. Click  the listbox and then click "Disable" to turn off the service from  starting up. Restart the Vaio once you've disabled all the Vaio Media Plus services.
:wink:
profile.country.en_GB.title
peterclong
Visitor

Typical answer from the vendor, "if you don't want it to fail, don't use it"!!

I will certainly take your advice and switch off the whole hogging process, but as a developer, I'd like to meet the clown that designed such an inefficient process!!

I'll be looking for a decent media server and dumping this Sony rubbish!!