Join now - be part of our community!

VPCF12M0E - Overheating problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
kooshal
Visitor

VPCF12M0E - Overheating problems

Hi,

I bought my Sony Viao VPCF12M0E laptop in September 2010 and lately I have been having a lot of random shut downs due to overheating despite using a cooling pad

Could somebody please advise me on how to fix that problem ?

Thanking you in advance.

KN

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi KN,

Try blowing out the air vents with compressed air (commercially known as 'Air Duster').

If that has no effect then disassembly may be required for a thorough clean of the fan and ducts.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
guymo12
Visitor

Not sure if I have same problem, but recently my VPCF12M0E has gone blank screen and unresponsive several times.  The only way I have recovered it is hard reset holding in power button.  What I have noticed each time this happens is that the fan is running very loud and a lot of heat coming from vents.  I can't see that the vents are blocked with dust at all.

Any ideas?

guymo12

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi guymo12,

I suggest that you download a free utility such as PC Wizard to monitor the CPU and GPU temperature and let us know the results.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

We will then have a better idea of whether the problem is heat related.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jamdown2010
Explorer

Hi rich912SONY temperature.jpg

I came on here with another problem,and noted this thread,  I too think that I may have a overheating problem.

my notebook viao vpcee3zoe will suddenly without warning shutdown, the underside feels quite hot to touch, I jammed one of my cruzer keys underneath the front which raised it up another inch from the desk, and that made a a big improvement insomuch as it would shut down after about 7 hrs daily, but now fails about 3 days.

I have an extended warranty which runs out this dec, when I telephoned the help desk they had me go back to a previous date (which I did) and suggested if happened again should do a really deep advanced previous date (with backup  everything as I would louse most data) (if that didn't work only then would she have me book it for repairs) I suggest to her what if I should use my vac cleaner to remove dust, that shocked her, she said she certainly wouldn't advise that.

personally I think all that may be unnecessary, I had (still have) a 6 yr old Toshiba before this present one and this is how I sorted the problem

I shut everything down > closed the laptop > used gaffer/duct tape around the edges front/sides/rear  ( apart from the processor escape vent) > underneath the laptop I used the tape to seal every conceivable place that air for the would leak, removal battery plates etc > leaving just the fan intake and processor outtake, > I taped off some of the fan intake leaving a circular area for the vac nozzle,> put the nozzle to that area thereby reversing the flow of the fan and thereby removing dust or other that had been pulled in over what ever period.

that solved the problem on the toshiba, the sony maybe a more delicate machine, but I am tempted to try albeit at a reduced setting.

I have installed CPUID but don't  know what is the normal operating temperture have attached file

your thoughts would be most welcome

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jamdown2010,

The CPU temperatuers are higher than I would expect assuming that you have no intensive processes running in the background.

I would never recommend the use of a vacume cleaner on a notebook or any other electronic equipment due to the risk of static discharge. I suggest you first try short bursts of compressed air in the vents but if that fails to cure the problem then disassembly may be required for a thorough clean of the fan and heatsink.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jamdown2010
Explorer

Hello again rich912

everything that you posted is food for thought.

I have quite a few tabs open on google chrome and some with live streaming, i have taken them for granted, a bit of housekeeping is due I think.

About the compressed air, the garage down the road I think may let me use their compressor for a few bursts, but I think compressors use some oil mixed  in with  the air (not sure) dont think would be all  that healthy.

Disassembly? maybe..............I expect its very compact under the hood, do you know if after removing the bottom cover, the cpu is fully visible or is there a lot more to it?

On the vacuum cleaner option, (i still have a antistatic dummy 13 amp plug with exterior earth connection from before I was retired) do you think if I should cover the vent in front of cpu with a fine wire mesh which is then earthed and in addition link some of the bare metal points (usb/hdmi/d con)to earth that it would minimize static from the air being vac in? I know the notebook hasn't got a mains earth but I think the neg rail would be commoned to all the metal on the connectors. static air passing trough metal grill would sink static surely???????

I closed my browsers and the cpu temp dropped to 57c now they are running again up to 77c so quite a difference, is 57c about right when all activity is minimised?

I haven't got any (normal) reference temperatures as guide.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jamdown2010,

A temperature of 57c at idle, with no processes running, is possibly a tad higher than normal but 77c would only be expected under heavy load.

The compressed air from a garage would be inadvisable due to pressure – over spinning the fan and thus causing damage is a possibility. You can purchase an ‘Air Duster’ (can of compressed air) from your local PC shop or even larger Supermarkets for approx. £5.00.

Generally speaking removal of the bottom casing will reveal the fan and heat sink although I am not familiar with disassembly of your model.

Not being an electronics engineer I can’t comment on the use of gauze and other anti static precautions when using a vac.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jamdown2010
Explorer

Thanks rich912

With your help, I feel I've some good options to think about, and I am sure all will be OK.

thnx

ps  I am not an electronics engineer either, but in some of my previous jobs I use to do mods/repair broadcast equipment/ mainframe boards to engineers instructions, and we all had to do a basic antistatic course for that.

Today's laptop are far more compact (due to typical size of laptops) to anything I worked with.

Message was edited by: jamdown2010