Join now - be part of our community!

VPCM12M1E M Memory Upgrade

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Silversurfer42
Visitor

VPCM12M1E M Memory Upgrade

The Specifications for VPCM12M1E state that the memory can be upgraded from 1GB to 2GB. I cannot find anywhere a procedure to do this nor how to access the existing Memory. Could you please inform me of the following:-

1) Can the memory in fact be upgraded to 2GB

2) Is the memory module under the keyboard.

3) Where can I find any instructions how to upgrade the memory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry, please ignore that - those instructions are for the W-Series.

Just look at the M Series Video.  Take the battery off.  You need to remove only the 4 screws holding in the keyboard.  The 2 centre ones either side of the battery connector are covered with tape which needs to be put back afterwards.

Lift the top of the keyboard being careful not to damage the connectors.

You will see the RAM module under the keyboard

M12MEM.jpg

Good Luck

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.fr_BE.title
patapoof
New

a real messy problem ...I was unable to lift the keyboard (and bent it a little) after removing 6 screws underneath ...I would love to know the answer to this dilemma ...further, I would sure love to know why calling up sony support (it's brand new) they don't even have a clue and hardly speak english ...isn't it a shame ...sony was soooo good in the past ...I have a 1984 sony xbr tv still working and looks so good people ask if it is hdtv ...well, I would love to up my memory and have purchased the 2gb module but cannot figure out how to lift the keyboard without bending it ...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think Sony have decided the memory upgrade is quite complex and they do not recommend it as a user upgrade.

There are two more screws under some tape in the centre.

Watch the videos: -

Video of M-Series here: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhIAKZrsuw8&feature=player_embedded

Watch the video of the W-Series here: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFHw5JEOilw

:wink:

patapoof
New

thank you for your advice...

you say: "Have you undone the screw right in the middle - under the flap on the back?  There are 3 screws to come out under the flap + 2 under the battery + 3 in the top of the flap." ...I do not find any "flap" ...what is it and where is it please?

I have seen the 2 videos ...the thing is, on my Vaio  VPCM12M1E/L there are NOT any screws under the battery at all ...there are no tapes in the battery compartment ...nothing!!  I am at a loss here to figure it out...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry, please ignore that - those instructions are for the W-Series.

Just look at the M Series Video.  Take the battery off.  You need to remove only the 4 screws holding in the keyboard.  The 2 centre ones either side of the battery connector are covered with tape which needs to be put back afterwards.

Lift the top of the keyboard being careful not to damage the connectors.

You will see the RAM module under the keyboard

M12MEM.jpg

Good Luck

patapoof
New

here is what I have ...pic a little blurry but still instructive...

patapoof
New

OK ...resolved:

To each side of the battery connectors (shown in the yellow rectangle in my prior picture) there is a flat spot ...that flat spot on each side is covered by black electrical tape which is so well positioned it cannot be easily seen ...it looks like a part of the black plastic over which it is placed... it requires a delicate effort to remove it (sticks well) for which I used a pointy awl (very small) ...after that, there are, in fact 2 screws (they are smaller than the other ones and go in more turns) ...once removed the keyboard is loose (having also removed the 2 screws to either side as well (red circles next to battery, 2 on each side, I left the 2 central screws near the front alone) ...lift it with care as the ribbon cable is really short ...you will NOT be able to perch it up by the screen or anywhere... I just worked under it ...the release of the installed memory is very easy with 2 side clips you push outward (very easy) and the mem card pops right up ...do NOT lift it but pull it out along it's plane (also, easy) and look at how it goes in (there's a slot in the connector bank preventing a mistake) ...put the new one in along the SAME PLANE (same angle) as the one you removed (goes in without any resistance and does NOT snap) ...then push it flat and the two side clips will snap (very gentle pressure needed only) ...put the thing back together and you're done.

Thanks for your patience (especially Blencogo); I'm an idiot for being so dense ...old poor vision contributed to my troubles...

...for sure, anyone can do it !!  ...took 5 minutes (max) ...recognition of new memory happened with no problem (right click on "computer" and go to properties and it's there in all its glory !!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Well done and thank you for posting such clear instructions.  I found an official Sony guide (after you had solved the problem) here: -

http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=47466&l=en_GB&m=VPCM...

M12open.jpg

I'm glad you have sorted it and this guide may help others in the future.

:slight_smile:

patapoof
New

someone should let tech support know about this because I got no help from them at all ...sony is too big a company as evidenced by this disconnect between this resource and the person in the far east on the phone...    

profile.country.en_GB.title
Silversurfer42
Visitor

Thanks a million to both 'Blencogo' and 'patapoof' for carrying on this thread whilst I have been away. The video link from Blencogo is most useful together with the write up from patapoof which makes the job look so easy. Now I will take the plunge to buy an upgrade 2GB module. Thanks again to both of you especially as this information does not seem to be available from Sony.