Join now - be part of our community!

VPCSA4T9E laptop no sound or soundcard.

VPCSA4T9E laptop no sound or soundcard.

Hi.

I have a problem with my sisters laptop. There's no sound in the build in speakers or via the headphone jack. It's running W7 and i can't adjust the volume, there's a red cross over the speaker icon. I tells me there is no sound device installed. I've looked in the device manager and sound settings, i can only find the HDMI sound device.

I've tried the following:

Search for new hardware, nothing comes up.

Reinstall newest driver from Sonys support page - no change.

Searched in the BIOS for a sound card disable/enable but this model doesn't have that option.

Removed the battery for some hours, didn't work.

Tried to boot a Linux Ubuntu live CD to check that the problem doesn't come from windows, i've only got the HDMI audio there too.

So it seems to me that the soundcard is either broken or disconnected. I would think the soundcard is soldered directly to the mainboard? I can still hear a pop/click when inserting headphones, so something is at least getting power.

The laptop has still got a warranty, and i'm thinking of using it. I just wan't to be 100% sure that i haven't overlooked something. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated 🙂

The laptop has been sent in before for a screen replacement before, at sony. As far as i know the screen took a hit directly to the display, in other words it didn't brake because of a drop to the floor etc. So i'm not sure if this could be a late complication of that, it's been working for several months after the repair.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi CarstenLorenzen,

Given the troubleshhoting you have carried out I think you can be certain this problem is hardware related.

Whether or not this is connected to the hit your screen took on an earlier occasion is debatable. There is always the chance that Sony will argue this is the case but you can always try to claim a repair under warranty.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat