Join now - be part of our community!

Warning!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
Pedro...
Visitor

Warning!!

Hello to all

Just a warning of what can happen once Sony make arrangements for a laptop to be repaired.

recently purchased a demonstration model from the Sony Center in Stockholm, model VPCS12X9E/B it was a model from 2010 and had been in and out for display in the shop over the last 2 years buts as i have owned 2 previous very high spec expensive models i felt that even though it was a demo model and not in the same class as my 2 other Sony’s, the discount on offer and memory upgrade made it a good to purchase as an extra laptop.

I basically had the laptop at home for under a week and had when i had time i would update and install other software and files and basically get it set up to the way i wanted it but during this week a small crack started to appear on the bottom left hand corner of the lid.

I couldn't see how this could have happened as it had sat in the same place

since i unpacked it and only opened and closed the lid a few times, so my own conclusion was that as it was a demo model, maybe the Sony center through the last couple of years of use with being in and out of display, a hair line crack for some reason set in and became more noticeable when i got it home.

So i call Sonny support and they arrange collection for repair through UPS but when the laptop arrived to the repair center in Prague, i get an email with some pictures showing 2 other damages, a damaged palm rest and memory stick holder and what looked like the bottom chassis splitting open.

I said this must have happened in Transit and email back pictures that i took of the laptop before it was boxed up by the UPS guy that shows those damages were not there.

Anyway after nearly a month of crap from Sony they say that as the box arrived to Prague without any damages then all these damages were there before it was boxed.

No matter what i say or show with pictures that i have sent,  Sony now even refuse to deal with me and say either pay up or they will send it back unrepaired.

They will not even comment on the pictures that i have provided no matter how many times i ask by email or by phone, i have also included pictures of part of the box that the UPS guy left behind and i feel should have been used when the laptop was packed and i did ask the UPS guy but he said it was not need and again no comment from Sony.

My only option to resolve this mess is by legal channels, which will take months but like i have said to Sony we all have time!!

I say to all people who own a Sony ( this is my 3rd ) if your computer needs to be sent for repair, then take as many pictures as possible from all angles and just as it gets placed into the courier supplied box, make a video with you phone or video camera and record the condition of the Sony product and it being packed, as this will be your only evidence, i would advise the same when unpacking the product.

2 REPLIES 2
userpuser
Visitor

Try to see it from the other perspective.Sony accepts the shipment from UPS as undamaged, Laptop has massive damage that is seemingly inconsistent with this fact. But I think you have a case that, if you would have caused that kind of damage yourself, you would have done this by accident and wouldn't take "evidence" pictures of it in mint condition beforehand. Plus you have evidence that the UPS guy tried to save himself some time by packaging the laptop improperly which could explain the damage. Very disappointing to hear that Sony doesn't see this and treats you like that.

Pedro...
Visitor

I see it from there side as i am a retailer myself and the only reason i took the pictures was because i thought there was maybe a design flaw with this model and if they would ask me about the orginal issue which was a hairline crack on the outer bottom left hand corner of the lid, then i could try to point out a possibilty of why this had happened, opening and closing of the lid when doing so by holding the corner.

All laptops have little pcs of rubber under the lid so when you close it the lid does not come in contact with the bottom half of the laptop, well on this model the rubbers were set quite far back from each corner which i felt gave the corners to much flexabilty at the corner tips and this is where the crack appeared and this got me thinking of the design flaw as other Sonys that i own or have owned the rubbres were placed very close to the corner of the lid.

At the end of the day Sony don't want to see it from my side and the UPS guy says he will say he packed it wrong but Sony are not interested.

If they can say it was packed correctly even though i point out the missing part and it takes 5-6 weeks to get them to say it wasn't packed correctly and this part should have been used when packed, then why can't there be room for damages to occur in transit, they still insist its not possible, even when i say why even supply the part that was left out of the packing, but like many points i put to them they will not answer.

Look my pictures show the laptop before it was boxed there pictures show the laptop after they removed it from the box and like i have repeatdley said to them, there are only to options.

1  It got damaged in Transit

2  At the repair center, who ever was handling the laptop either dropped it or banged the bottom section    against something, it can only be one or the other.

Do you think you are going to get one of these repair guys at Teleplan in Prague to hold there hand up and say Oops, well that hasn't happened maybe his job would be on the line...Teleplan say they are only the repair center and are not part of Sony.

UPS told me to tell Sony to make a damage claim, but Sony will not do it and as it stands they had 2 weeks to do that and its now 8 weeks, so that option is out.

Tsunami in Japan, Riots in the UK have affected Sony with factory and storage damages and on top of that the competition out there are getting much better and eating away at Sonys profits, maybe these

are good reasons why Sony offer nothing on ever level of SERVICE!!

I know where i will be putting my money in the future and it will not be Sony products

Just to let use know i have had 3 laptops from Sony that have cost me in total €8700 and my very 1st Sony at €4200 was in for repair 5 times, my 2nd was in 2 times and sounds like a jet engine now as the fan is on a mission... and the 3rd well you know the story with that one.