Join now - be part of our community!

WEP on the VGP-MR200E

WockaWocka
Visitor

WEP on the VGP-MR200E

Good day to everyone, I'm a Sony virgin and it looks like I've run into my first proprietary software issue already. The state of things to come?? Still the VGC-RC202 comes in a damn fine looking case and only £650 from dabs :slight_smile:

To the point though..... the WEP encryption page on the MR200E takes a single WEP passphrase (from which it generates 4 keys that it does not display, it only allows you to select which to use).
My router takes 4 separate Hex keys (no passphrase).

I have no idea how to resolve this situation 😞

Regards

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Use WPA, it's a LOT stronger than WEP.

Sorry if that doesn't sound like a good solution.

WockaWocka
Visitor

Hi all

Thanks for the reply Kee-Lo. I'd love to (I'm running with WPA on my current home network) but the MR200E doesn't support it at this time.

Is there a firmware upgrade I'm not aware of? There isn't one on the UK site, in fact the MR200 doesn't get a mention, the MR100 does but I would not like to try that firmware without some way to wind back when it went wrong 😞

So problem remains....anyone out there with experience of the media receiver they can share.

I'm hopeing for help here because Sony are having difficulty registering me for e-support.... up to my fourth telephone call and counting to try and get onto the system!!!!

Thanks in advance

Neil

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Neil.

I can't pretend to know much about it - but is there not a "Wireless LAN Setting Tool" on the MR200 CD? (WLANsetup.exe)

Are you trying to set up the MR200 first with an ethernet cable before you try it wirelessly?

:thinking:

WockaWocka
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Instructions said with a router based system just go straight for settings in the MR200. Guess next move is the setup CD, my fear is that it does more than it says on the tin (auto routines have caused no end of hurt when setting up networks in the past). Still with a retore point before I start, can't do too much harm to try :pray:

Hope this doesn't wipe out too much of my weekend!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

D'oh should have thought about this possability.
Back to the drawing board for me.

jdgoveia
Visitor

Hi there I am also new to the vgp-mr200e, and am finding great difficulty using the wep on this device, I am at the stage of throwing it out the window. Whats the point of having a piece of hardware that does not in this day and age use wpa. Can anyone assist in this scenario.

Regards

Jason

WockaWocka
Visitor

Was this question I posted to support badly worded?
"The MR200e appears to use a 'key phrase' which generates 4 concealed WEP keys. My router uses 4 user entered WEP keys. How can I obtain the MR200 keys to enter into my router? I have the shipping firmware: 2.2.0_0512160 but I also note there is no MR200 support page (only the MR100) on the UK site. Will there be an update to support secure WPA or WPA2 for the MR200?"

Because this was the answer:
Thank you for contacting us.

We do not generate or supply WEP Keys of any kind.
These have to be supplied by your provider.

Regards,
Sony Vaio Team.

Outstanding, no support, they did not understand my WEP key problem and they ignored my subsequent questions regarding web pages and WPA support.

So first impressions of Sony support...... leave you to guess.

By the way, HI Jason, welcome to somewhere that appears to have many useful answers, it just appears that we are a small minority, the MR200 does not appear to have many followers. I haven't thrown it out the window yet.... it is gathering dust next to my TV until I can find the time to have another frustrating attempt at trying to get a (vaguely) secure connection running to my RC202.