Join now - be part of our community!

What do I need to connect a VGP-PRS20 to a Dell Monitor?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
DominicO
Visitor

What do I need to connect a VGP-PRS20 to a Dell Monitor?

I'm sure this is simple but can someone tell me what cable I need to connect a VGP-PRS20 Port Replicator to a Dell U2311H Monitor? Is it an HDMI cable, a VGA cable or a DVI cable?

I've just got my new Sony and am in the process of moving over to this new set up and am getting confused!

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

While I could give you the answer for your specific case, a more general answer would help more people.

Compare which ports the two devices offer and choose the most suitable one. Let's see...

Dell U2311H monitor specs list DVI-D, DP and VGA

VGP-PRS20 specs list VGA and HDMI

You shouldn't use VGA unless you really have no other option. On first glance it looks like it's the only common port on these two devices, but it's not. HDMI and DVI both use the same method for video data and can be connected using simple adapters.

The solution in this case is to use an HDMI cable with a HDMI to DVI-D adapter on the monitor side.

The adapter should be something like this offer on Amazon. You might have gotten one with the monitor.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

While I could give you the answer for your specific case, a more general answer would help more people.

Compare which ports the two devices offer and choose the most suitable one. Let's see...

Dell U2311H monitor specs list DVI-D, DP and VGA

VGP-PRS20 specs list VGA and HDMI

You shouldn't use VGA unless you really have no other option. On first glance it looks like it's the only common port on these two devices, but it's not. HDMI and DVI both use the same method for video data and can be connected using simple adapters.

The solution in this case is to use an HDMI cable with a HDMI to DVI-D adapter on the monitor side.

The adapter should be something like this offer on Amazon. You might have gotten one with the monitor.

profile.country.en_GB.title
DominicO
Visitor

Stephanius

Thanks very much for your help. I had read that VGA is analogue so was hoping there would be an alternative. Seemed odd to have a new laptop with an HDMI connected to a relatively decent monitor via an analogue cable. I'll give this a try. Thanks again.