Join now - be part of our community!

what is better? 64mb dedicated graphic memory or 32mb dedicated with up to 128 turbo cache?

Foxhound
Visitor

what is better? 64mb dedicated graphic memory or 32mb dedicated with up to 128 turbo cache?

I was wondering what would be better:
64mb dedicated like the radean 9700 mobility or somthing like the geforce go 6600 with only 32mb dedicated memory but it can get an other 96 shared with the system memory making it 128mb graphics memory.

4 REPLIES 4
William
Visitor

From my limited knowledge I would go with the first.

Dedicated memory is always best and usually a lot faster.

There is always a trade off using "Shared Memory".

But i am am willing to bow to those amongst us who are Hardcore Laptop Gamers.

I personally would not use a laptop for gaming but thats just me, XP will be quite happy with either choice.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I have chared memory on mine. Works fine for every stuff. (not for games)

But its much slower, like William said.

I have just bought myself a brand new Sony Vaio VGN-S5XP/B and inside of this Vaio is a Nvidia GeForce Go 6400 with 128mb shared graphics. Combine this with the 2.0GHz Pentium M processor & 1Gb DDR ram and I can run every game I have tryed so far!

The list of games tryed is; - Counter Strike: Source, Half Life 1 & 2, all of the three Unreal Tournament games, Quake 4, Doom 3 & expansion pack, Joint Operations + expansion pack, the list really does go on!

Even on the highest quality settings for graphics in game they all run well, although not perfectly smooth, but knock the settings down to medium and they are all very playable / useable in my honest opinion.

After having a few laptops all with dedicated graphics cards, including a Gericom with ATI Radeon 9700 64mb graphics card, and also a Nvidia GeForce Go 6600 before I 'down-graded' to this graphics card, I can safely assure you that given the choice I would ALWAYS now choose the Nvidia GeForce Go **** series with the 'shared' memory.

It outrightly performs the Radeon 9700 with 128mb dedicated in every aspect in my opinion. In a desktop for hardcore gaming I have to admit I prefer the ATI range, but in a notebook, the GeForce Go gets it perfect!

I'm going on slightly now, but in conclusion to this rambling post, I would say choose the one with the 32mb dedicated with 128mb available, instead of the 64mb & thats the lot so to speak. As long as you have enough RAM in your notebook then most of the time when you need the full 128mb of video memory, its going to be their, unless of course you only have 256mb or 512mb of memory in your notebook.

:slight_smile: Hope that helps! Any other questions please ask and I will try to answer them at some point.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I agree with William, more dedicated RAM for graphics means better gaming power