Join now - be part of our community!

What Model is My Vaio ?? VGN-FE28H or PCG-7N1M

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
lowrider69
Visitor

What Model is My Vaio ?? VGN-FE28H or PCG-7N1M

Hi guys can anyone help please...

here is a letter i wrote to pc world uk and the answer i got back......

Dear PC World we bought  a Sony Vaio VGN-FE Series VGN-FE28H off you a while ago (2006) for £999.

it says Series VGN-FE28H on the PC World reciept but on the laptop but it says its a PCG-7N1M so are these the same models please??,

the reason we are asking is that we sold it on ebay as a VGN-FE28H as thats what it says it is on the reciept but the buyer is not happy saying its a PCG-7N1M which is what it says on the laptop and he says it is a cheaper spec laptop,

has PC world given us the wrong laptop when my wife bought it from the shop by some chance or are these laptops the same model as the buyer says he cant find it on the sony web site??

many thanks if you can help us.

kind regards

.....................................................................................................

the reply i got was......

Thank you for your email.

From what I can see, the two models look to be the same, or at least very similar. When I have searched Google for PCG-7N1M it has bought up information on both the PCG-7N1M and VGN-FE28H, albeit for laptop spares and downloads. It does indeed seem that there is no information on either laptop on Sony's website so I am unable to confirm any further.

I can also find no information on the PCG-7N1M on our Website. The only possible explaination I can think of is that for some reason Sony have changed model numbers, or have included their internal product code on the laptop instead of the model number.

If you wish to confirm this with Sony, they can be contacted on 0870 240 2408.

Kind regards,

Katie, TEC Team 2

The Tech Guys pc world Email Support.

.........................................................................................................................

I rang the number they gave me for sony 08702402408 but it just cuts me off as my laptop is out of warrenty but all i want to find out is what laptop do i have or have they just changed the model numbers and there both the same ???

i now have the S/N from the back of the laptop which is 28******50*****

other numbers on the back of the laptop are below..

can anyone help with this matter please or does anyone know of a way to find out which laptop do i really have or are they the same but with changed model numbers??

or if not how can i contact the right people in sony to find out does anyone have the right email addy please??

thanks if anyone can help...

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alan and welcome to Club Vaio Questions.

PCG-7N1M is NOT a Vaio model and you will find no mention of it on any Sony website.  It is a chassis classification and may be shared by more than one model.

Your correct model is the VGN-FE28H and this should be printed on the bottom-right of the screen surround.

Alternatively, you can see the model type in Control Panel -> Vaio Control Centre -> System Information or by looking into the BIOS by tapping F2 during boot-up and looking for 'Machine Name' in the Main BIOS screen.

It would seem that both the VGN-FE21H and the VGN-FE28H share this same chassis type.  The only differences I can see are a larger hard disc on the FE28H (160GB instead of 100GB) and possibly a dfifferent make of optical drive.

If your model has a 160GB hard disc then it is a VGN-FE28H.

You can see the full specifications for both models here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/specifications/index.aspx?m=VGN-FE21H&l=en_GB

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/specifications/index.aspx?m=VGN-FE28H&l=en_GB

:wink:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Alan and welcome to Club Vaio Questions.

PCG-7N1M is NOT a Vaio model and you will find no mention of it on any Sony website.  It is a chassis classification and may be shared by more than one model.

Your correct model is the VGN-FE28H and this should be printed on the bottom-right of the screen surround.

Alternatively, you can see the model type in Control Panel -> Vaio Control Centre -> System Information or by looking into the BIOS by tapping F2 during boot-up and looking for 'Machine Name' in the Main BIOS screen.

It would seem that both the VGN-FE21H and the VGN-FE28H share this same chassis type.  The only differences I can see are a larger hard disc on the FE28H (160GB instead of 100GB) and possibly a dfifferent make of optical drive.

If your model has a 160GB hard disc then it is a VGN-FE28H.

You can see the full specifications for both models here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/specifications/index.aspx?m=VGN-FE21H&l=en_GB

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/specifications/index.aspx?m=VGN-FE28H&l=en_GB

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
lowrider69
Visitor

thankyou very much Blencogo that has cleared up everything your a real star mate :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Alan,

another option, if you or anyone else encounters this problem in the future, is to enter your Vaio's serial number into the Vaio support site this will then display your vaio model..:smileywink:

The serial number can be found on the underside of your Vaio..

Alan, just to be on the safe side, I have removed your serial number from your earlier post..