Join now - be part of our community!

Which PCMCIA WiFi Card Do You Use?

ChrisOfTheOT
Visitor

Which PCMCIA WiFi Card Do You Use?

I have a GRT796 in which the internal WiFi card has died. I (eventually...) bought a Linksys WPC11 v.3 card as a cheap and easy replacement - which turned out to be horrid. (Because that old Linksys card can't deal with any other network card (WiFi or Ethernet) being on the same system. Obviously, with a laptop you can't remove these cards and disabling them from Device Manager isn't enough. :angry: )

So: who here uses a PCMCIA WiFi card in a laptop WITH network cards already installed? Anyone? Could you recommend it?

I need to get another ASAP, but am now scared! :smileyblush:

Cheers,

Chris

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I have this one and it works very well. All I have is ethernet in built, so that might not be much help to you Chris.

ChrisOfTheOT
Visitor

Thanks, Kee-Lo - it's a good place to start. :cool: Are you still running a GRX316?

Cheers,

Chris

kee-lo_

Yep, she's going to be 4 years old this September

ChrisOfTheOT
Visitor

Glad to hear the ol' GRX is still going strong.

I checked the Amazon reviews of the Belkin card - a bit mixed. It seems laptop owners have most problems ( :worried: ), I wonder if that's down to internal WiFi driver conflicts?

Scared stiff now! (But thanks for the input. :wink: )

Cheers,

Chris

kee-lo_

Aye it's understandable, I don't really know what to suggest

ChrisOfTheOT
Visitor

I just got a replacement card in the post today - I thought I was getting a refund! Still, though it's the same manufacturer (Anon, China), it is a different card. :thinking: We'll see.

Cheers,

Chris

ChrisOfTheOT
Visitor

It turns out it's an unbranded Realtek RTL 8180. I installed it and it worked first time!

:smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin:

So happy! :laughing: So, in the end it was a tenner well spent - and I'm impressed with Digitalwebrotnics who, though didn't offer a refund (fair enough), did supply a better card, very quickly and without any quibble.

Far as I'm concerned, perfik!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. Sticks out a long way from the laptop - I can live with that - but it's got great reception. Yummy!

mgben
Visitor

I use the Belkin 54g Card too.

kee-lo_

That's great news Chris