Join now - be part of our community!

Why do I get 'file not found' when trying to re-install apps?

profile.country.en_GB.title
LBuckingham
Visitor

Why do I get 'file not found' when trying to re-install apps?

Hi,

I'm trying to fix a couple of problems witha a friends Vaio PCV-6603 (which I've also seen referred to as PCV-V1/G I think).

Giga Pocket has been trashed and when I try to install it again from the recovery disk, all I get is a "error 53, file not found' message.

I assume some file the recovery depends upon was also trashed - but there's no indication what file.  I know I could do a full restore, but that's a lot of messing about just to get Giga Pocket to work.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi LBuckingham,

Dependences for Giga Pocket (running under XP) are as follows.

MPEG Decoder

UI Library

Encoder Board Driver

Microsoft DirectX 9 or later (Available from Windows Update)

Requires 😧 Partition

If searching support for any of the above then use the Vaio model number PCV-V1/G.

Rich

Edit: You may also first need to install Sony Shared Library.

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
LBuckingham
Visitor

Hi Rich and thanks for your reply.

I think it might be more the dependencies for VRU.exe that I'd need as I get the 'file not found' error immediately after choosing "Install individual applications" or "Install ALL applications" - i.e. it's not Giga Pocket specific.

"Read the Documentation" and "Recover the Operating System" options appear to work (though I cancelled the latter as I'd rather not have to do a full recover).  It's just the two 'install' options that are suffering from the missing file problem.  I guess without knowing what file it's checking for, I'm at a bit of an impasse (other than doing the full recovery).

Message was edited by: LBuckingham

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi LBuckingham,

I don’t think that the Recovery Utility has any dependences with the exception of Sony Shared Library. This must be installed and working prior to installing any Vaio Application.

If that fails to resolve the problem then rather than a system recovery I would first try installing all of the Sony Utilities from the link that I provided.

Rich

EDIT: Sorry I thought I had provided a link but hadn’t. This is it:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=PCV-V1_G

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
LBuckingham
Visitor

Thanks again Rich - but I don't see the Sony Utilities link you mention?

Ahh cheers - I see your update now - I'll go give it a try :slight_smile:

LBuckingham
Visitor

Unfortunately, nothing I've tried has worked.  I think the prog must be looking for some OS file that's been deleted/renamed - and as there's no indication of filename, I reckon I'm left with just the recovery option.

Thanks again for your help Rich - much appreciated.