Join now - be part of our community!

WHY STILL NO SUPPORT FOR WINDOWS 10 UPDATE ???

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
MJBALTIC
Explorer

WHY STILL NO SUPPORT FOR WINDOWS 10 UPDATE ???

I was trying to update my VAIO SVL2413M1EB today, as Microsoft has offered me Windows 10 and I can't do it.

Update gives me an error and nothing is working.

SONY, it's very bad !!!

I know you have abandoned VAIO, but don't force people to get rid of all your products, because you will loose even more at the end.

My friend has got HP laptop 3 times cheaper then my SONY VAIO and he was able to update everything straight away and everything works !!!

SONY SUCKS !!!

70 REPLIES 70
profile.country.en_GB.title
davejo90

@Peteandpam15 wrote:

Please help.  Can I uninstall windows 10.  We installed it but then realised Sony Viao says do not.  How difficult is it to uninstall.  Obviously having problems, no touch screen etc. and we did have 8.1.  Do we sit tight as is and wait for it to work when we get correct river from Sony or can we uninstall.   HELP please.  we are silly old age pensioners and have not got a clue now what to do.  Kind regards

If you’ve upgraded a PC to Windows 10 — not performed a clean install, but an upgrade — you’ll have an easy option that lets you revert to the last version of Windows. To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.” You should see a “Go back to Windows 7″ or “Go back to Windows 8.1″ option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install. Microsoft will ask you why you want to go back. If it’s been over a month — or if you’ve run the DIsk cleanup tool and removed the “Previous Windows installations” files or deleted the C:\Windows.old folder by hand — you’ll no longer see this option. Windows 10 appears to automatically remove the old Windows installation files after a month to free up space.
quentiocimo

may I suggest that whoever is responsible for this update is in the wrong job. Wait until november for the update? ridiculous. Most probably a savvy 10 yr old would do it quicker.

quentiocimo

i get an alert daily in top corner of my screen advising "urgent info re windows 10" when i check it's the same old message dated 18th july. what a waste of time!

davwilso29
Explorer

It certainly doesn't seem like it is going to help anyone like myself who has a VAIO running windows 7. I have an 8 year old Dell Inspiron 1520 and it was upgraded on the day Windows 10 was launched and it loaded first time, absolutely no problem. I also have a Lenovo AIO desktop which was running Windows 8.1, that also upgraded no problem at all, that is what I call service. I am disgusted by the attitude of Sony and would cetainly think twice about buying any Sony product after this. 

ABEMBEM
New

Why is my viao laptop model not listed? I can only find VIAOSVP132A6E AND SVP132A4E  but my model is SVP132A1CM. Can you please help identify the solution?

seylectric

or what it's worth that was probably luck, not service. Dell don't have the greatest support/service record in the world and probably did nothing. You upgraded to 10 and it just worked, as it will with most computers. I did exactly the same with a Dell XPS One but when I checked for support information later on the Dell website there was none.

Bearing in mind that had you upgraded and it had not worked or caused problems you would have been screwed. I much prefer Sony's approach in making sure their computers are compatible before advising you to go ahead, but if you went ahead now without waiting for the advice you would "probably" be OK. We updated a Vaio Duo 11 on day one to see how it would go and it's worked perfectly ever since.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Sony pulled out of the laptop market long before Windows 10 was born and they have no obligation whatsoever to update anything. Most other manufacturers in the same position probably wouldn't have done anything - I remember HP introducing an Android tablet a few years ago then dropping it shortly afterwards and announcing there would be no support whatsoever. Sony should be applauded for choosing to provide that support, and unlike many other manufacturers, ensuring that their products are compatible, testing every one and publishing the results, even classing minor issues as a fail.

I for one appreciate that attention to detail and I believe that is why Sony products are so good. It's a shame a few people (and I am not directly referring to yourself) choose to spit their dummy out instead because they can't see the full picture and are just whinghing because they want it and they want it now. Do you all seriously believe every other manufacturer has tested in detail every one of their products?

davwilso29
Explorer

You obviously have a different school of thought to me. I believe that Sony have a direct obligation to make it possible to upgrade to windows 10. If an upgrade went wrong on my VAIO< I would merely factory reset it. Would you purchase a car from a manufacturer knowing that you could not have it serviced, I certainly wouldn't. Sony have done nothing to make upgrade possible. It would certainly serve them right if they never sold another product, I cannot understand people who accept Sony's stance in this. I think it is disgraceful.
seylectric

That's the problem, everybody thinks Sony have an obligation. They do not. It is nothing to do with Sony that Microsoft decided to produce an entirely new operating system. If you were complaining that Sony were not providing support for the OS that came installed on the computer you might have a point. But it's like complaining your DVD player won't play Blu Ray discs.

Car servicing is not a level comparison. There is nothing stopping you from having your computer serviced but if the car manufacturer produced a new engine would you expect them to upgrade yours? Likewise if you bought an accessory for your car from a different manufacturer you would not expect the car maker to provide support for your new accessory, yet that's exactly what you are doing by installing Windows 10 and expecting Sony to provide support for it. You didn't buy the computer with the promise or proviso that it would be upgradeable to future operating systems, so why you are complaining you are not getting something that was not offered in the first place is beyond my understanding I afraid. People expect too much these days and should remember that Sony have every right to simply walk away if they wanted to.

ABEMBEM
New

By the way how come that even the model for my laptop is not on the list of the Sony models listed and yet I bought this laptop from a Sony Dealership in London when they were still in business?
siquarm
Explorer

"Sony have no obligation". Maybe they have no legal obligation but when they left the PC market they made a promise to support existing users; was that just a sham? Also, they have had a pretty enthusiastic and loyal customer base who might be expected to buy Sony products in the future... this, surely, also gives a commercial reason for doing better over this issue.

The reason my PC, and those of many others, is being flagged as 'incompatible' with Windows 10 is due to the graphics driver. Sony made a decision to modify customise the graphics driver as part of the build and that means it is not supported by Nvidia (who appear to have issued new drivers for all non-OEM modified cards). Doesn't this  also impose some obligation on Sony? 

The car analogy might be interesting to debate but it is not directly applicable as these are two very different products. There is and always has been some expectation around updates within the PC market. Indeed, Sony has said they will support VAIOs that were shipped with Win 8 onwards. Thus, they have already accepted that they should do work in this area... the problem here is that they have set the cut-off at a point where a very large percentage of VAIO users are excluded.

[Interestingly, the Sony USA site is more optimistic about upgrading. If I paraphrase, they more or less say "it's up to you and at your own risk; but if the MS Win 10 App says it's OK, then it'll probably work OK". There's also a much more comprehensive model list that - although the US codes - helps inform users here regarding model families. See:

http://esubpport.sony.com/US/p/os10upgrade.pl?

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=1596

Note that on this site, Sony says they are also testing VAIOs shipped with Win 7 provided they are 2011 models or later (doesn't help me!); this compares to the Win 8+ statement on our side of the Pond.]