Join now - be part of our community!

Wifi unconnectivity - long hours spent getting nowhere

SecretHills
Visitor

Wifi unconnectivity - long hours spent getting nowhere

Hi our Vaio FS285H notebook has performed well for almost 2 years but recently began to go really slow - probably because my daughter loaded tons of programmes, music and photos on it's little 80 gig disc. So I bought an external hard drive and transferred the music and photos to it and the problems started. Itunes wouldn't work and when I eventually got it back the sound was dreadfully distorted and no amount of re-loading itunes, realtek drivers etc could solve it. I plucked up courage and performed a hard drive recovery on the C drive and then re-loaded just the main programmes back. The machine runs much better and the sound is good but it keeps failing to connect to my netgear wifi router.

I am tearing my hair out trying to sort it out and a local engineer is also baffled. I can connect using hard wire to router but then when I try wirelessly it fails to pick up the router address. is this a Sony software problem or a microsoft one or do I need to re-recover the system or download some piece of software? Any help appreciated as its already taken so much time.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Welcome to the club,
You may or may not be aware that all computers regardless of quality require reformating at least every 9 months or with heavy use every six months. If you have a lot of latency or hang on your hard drive it probably needs defragmentation and or reformating. Try tune up utilities first and see if that improves things. do all the program reccommends especially the registry defragmentation. here

SecretHills
Visitor

Hi Tony - thanks for your helpful suggestion _ I will downlad aand try out the suggested tube up utilities and see if that helps