Join now - be part of our community!

Win7 updates for Vaio FZ21Z

profile.country.en_GB.title
cool.sm.
Explorer

Win7 updates for Vaio FZ21Z

Hi

I upgraded to Win7 from Vista on my Vaio FZ21Z. I recently noticed updates for Win7 were available on the support site. I loaded all the updates and had the following problems:

1) For - Vaio Edit Components - 6.6.00.0.06130. 19.28Mb 14.07.2009. EP0000187620.exe. The error message was: Video Edit Components 5.0 - .6.6 is not installed. Setup aborted.

2) For - Vaio Edit Components - 7.2.00.11160.  47.26Mb. 14.01.2010. EP00006211394.exe. The error message was: Video Edit Components 7.0 - 7.1 is not installed. Setup aborted.

3) Win DVD BD - 8.0.0.282. 155.78Mb. 06.03.2012. EP0000265436.exe. The error message was: This upgrade patch can't be appy to your version of Win DVD. Setup will now abort.

Are the updates mentioned above essential and why were they not installed?

All the other updates were OK.

All help appreciated.

SM.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi SM,
It seems you are attempting to install updates to programs that are not installed.
I seem to recall from your previous posts that you have upgraded to Win 7 using a clean install, if so you will have lost all pre-installed Sony software – this software cannot be downloaded and reinstalled.
I assume you do not have the original version of Adobe Premier (the update to Vaio Edit Components is related to this software) or Win DVD installed?
The only way to retain all pre-installed software is to carry out an ‘in-place’ upgrade from Vista to Win 7.
Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
cool.sm.
Explorer

Hi Rich,

Yes, you're right, I upgraded to Win7 using a clean install. I have following Adobe Software: 1) Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2 and 2) Adobe Elements 5.0.2. Both of these work perfectly.

I have CorelWin DVD which plays ordinary movie DVDs  but it did not play a Blu-Ray DVD.

How do I get CorelWin DVD to play my Blu-Ray DVD?

Also, I think the current version of Adobe Elements is around 10; so I think the Vaio Edit Components may be for a higher version of Adobe Elements then my version of 3 & 5, but I am not sure!

Thanks,

SM

Message was edited by: cool.sm.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi SM,
I assume that you have installed all of the original utilities that are available on the Support site as there may be a dependency within the utilities.
I have no idea which version of Adobe Premier came pre-installed on this model but the chances are that it may be an OEM version and the Vaio Edit Components update from Sony may not work with any retail version.
Regarding the problem playing Blu-ray’s you will need to check whether the version you have supports BD and also that it supports the OS platform – I understand that some older versions do not support 64Bit OS. You could also try downloading a free trial of something such as Power DVD. If this works it will hopefully rule out a hardware problem with the drive itself.
Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
cool.sm.
Explorer

Hi Rich,

I used Win7 32bit OS upgrade to update a clean factory reset of the original settings of  Vista 32bitOS of my Vaio FX21Z (before the upgrade I installed all the Vista updates etc from the Support Site).

1) Adobe Elements is the original OEM that were pre-installed with my Vaio. I have not kept up with the (paid) upgrades :smileysad:. The Versions are Adobe Premiere Elemente 3 and Photoshop 5.

2) The CorelWinDVD was also OEM pre-installed and the version is Ver: 8.8.0.282LOGINID******. 2009 Corel. It used to play  Blu-Ray DVDs, but not after I installed WIn7 upgd. I think it needs a Win7 Update?

3) Drive has the following specs.: Optical: Blu-ray Disc Drive, BD-R/-R/-ROM/DVD+-R DL/RAM Drive.

4) The Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS GPU. - Has it got Hardware acceleration etc.

5) I tried to download PowerDVD12 - but the download keeps on freezing up, I shall let you know when I download it and if its plays the Blu-Ray DVD. All other DVDs, CDs etc play, R/W etc. all ok. I downloaded a Blu-Ray DVD software player called DAPlayer and it played the Blu-Ray DVD but was freezing up - So I don't think there is a problem with the drive.

Thanks,

SM.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi SM,

Vaio Edit upgrade 7.2.00.1160 refers to an integral update for Adobe Premier Pro CS or Adobe Premier Elements 8.

Vaio Edit upgrade 6.6.00.06130 is less clear about the application it supports but it does mention Adobe Premier – not Premier Elements.

It would be reasonable to conclude therefore that both these updates are only applicable if you chose to upgrade and as you have returned to Vista factory settings you have the basic program.

There is a Win 7 update available for WinDVD but as this is the same version and release date as the Vista version (8.8.0.282) I doubt that this will make a difference.

Let us know how Power DVD performs once you manage to download it.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
cool.sm.
Explorer

Hi Rich,

So the Adobe updates are for latest versions of their software and hence it won't update. (Haven't updated Adobe software as I don't use it often).

Why doesn't the CorelWinDVD run the Blu-Ray disc movie as with Vista? Is it because its not the latest version?

Also, I downloaded the PowerDVD and got the following message: "PowerDVD does not support the playback of this media format". I tried to look for 1) movieobject.bdmv (could not find it in the directory - file not supported) and 2) I tried to run 00000.m2ts and I got the the same message.

Have the file formats for Blu-Ray DVD changed or are they different for the diffferent type of BLU-Ray discs used to burn the software - BD-R/-RE/-ROM/DVD+-R DL/RAM?

The DAPlayer ran the Blu-Ray movie perfectly, but I guess I require more memory to use the software properly because it struggled to jump from one segment to another, i.e. when I tried to jump from 00000.m2ts to say 00005.m2ts. If left to run then it was OK.

All three DVD players (WinDVD, PowerDVD12, DAPlayer) ran DVD movies ok.

Thanks,

SM.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi CS,

I don’t know the answer to the WinDVD/Blu-ray problem but a Google suggests that there are people out there experiencing the same problem after upgrading to Win 7.

Here is just one link but a Google will provide more.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/blu-ray-wont-play-movies/a5bf1f3...

Apart from contacting Sony Support I’m not sure what else to suggest...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
cool.sm.
Explorer

hi Rich,

Thanks for your help. If I get my WinDVD to play Blu-Ray DVD movies under WIn7-32 bit OS then I shall post it here. Otherwise, upgrade Adobe then use the updates; case closed I guess.

SM.

cool.sm.
Explorer

20.July.2012

Hi Rich,

Can't cut and paste the reply from Sony Support, I'll just type it out:

**start email**

customersupport.en@eu.sony.com

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment ot inconvenience this issue has caused.

Please be advised that we do have some Windows 7 updates and downloads for your Vaio which

means that its coatible with Windows 7, however we can't guarantee that any of the functionalities

will be working after the upgrade.

We can only guarantee the preinstalled operating system that first came with the Vaio and we can

support you with it only as this one is the only copy of Windows that the Vaio was tested and all of

the functions were tested on it.

Should you have any questions please feel free to reply to this email or contact us at the below numbers:

Your faithfully,

Mohammed Abdelsayed

Sony Support.

UK: In Guarantee: 0870 240 2408

UK: Out of Guarantee: 095 031 0006 35p/min

email: customersupport.en@vaio-link.com

**end email**

Basically, if you upgrade to Win7 forget about any help from Sony on updates as its not guaranteed. So just rollback to Vista with a clean install and use WinDVD for Blu-Ray or buy  PowerDVD12 or Win DVDPro and try to get the Blu-Ray codecs for Win7 from them. Blu-Ray is patented and is therefore not available freely to use, so just buy it!

Try to find Win7 Blu-Ray codecs on  the internet for Win7 and Microsoft does not provide Blu-Ray playability with mediaplayer and it suggests purchase Blu-Ray codecs plug-ins for Win7!

I think Sony should provide more transparent info. regarding updates/upgrades etc. 

No Blu-Ray codecs no blu-ray DVD playability - Thats about it!

sm.