Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 10 upgrade pre 2011 VAIO

x8000783
Explorer

Windows 10 upgrade pre 2011 VAIO

"Please note that Sony will not be providing Windows 10 support for VAIO computers manufactured before 2011, which were sold with versions of Windows preceding Windows 7 Service Pack 1 as the pre-installed operating system."

I have a perfectly good Vaio PCG-8112M, that falls into this category and works well especially since I ungraded to Windows 7 myself mainly because the original Vista system was falling apart.

I am now ready to take advantage of the Microsoft Offer to move to Windows 10 and I find that I am blocked due to custom built NVIDIA drivers that Sony do not intend to make available for this upgrade. If the strategy behind this is to force me to purchase an up-to-date Sony product then they are sadly mistaken.

I presume the NVIDIA are not allowed to make their generic drivers available on these models due to legal issues but of course, I may be wrong on that. I would be interested to hear what Sony's defence of this apparently disgraceful decision is and whether anyone has figured a way to get around this restriction.

I am new here, do Sony have a presence and do they read or answer posts?

Thanks all.

14 REPLIES 14
x8000783
Explorer

Hi hought

What was you system originally pre-loaded with?

The problem seems to be with systems preloaded with Vista.

profile.country.FI.title
barrynb

I too have a VPCCB (VPCCB4C5E), and would like to know if the upgrade to Windows 10 can be made to work.

But, hey, seeing as user x8000783 has already upgraded I wonder if you might look at this, to see if it could be a solution?

VPCCB has the 'AMD/Intel hybrid switchable mode graphics'. Look at the suggestion given to me, when I had blue screen problems with my VPCCB4C5E running res 1920 x 1080 (note that was to Windows 7/64 bit, and the blue screen only seemed to occur with some applications, or when accessing some websites using IE, and funnily not with other browsers).

Look for the fix suggestion in the discussion titled 'igdpmd64.sys blue screen', which you'll find ie. by searching for "blue screen" on this forum .

The solution offered to me then, was to disable the switching to Intel HD graphics.
>

Open the Catalyst Control Centre

(right click on the little icon that says Color: 32 etc and Click Graphics Properties)

Go into Start/Power/Switchable graphics method

Select 'select the graphics processor manually or based on power source'.

Click apply.

Under PowerPlay, click the box to disable PowerPlay.

>
As I say, that worked for me then. It would be interesting to see if you could do the same with your VPCCB and Windows 10, whether the same fix would work.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has succesfully upgraded VPCCB to Windows 10 🙂
Regards

hought
Explorer

Hi,

My VAIO originally came with Vista pre-loaded. At the time, Sony were offering a free upgrade to Windows 7, which at the time was due in a couple or so months. I did the upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 using the upgrade pack they provided.

Since that time, I've not really added much extra in the way of apps, other than Microsoft Office etc. As a result, my laptop is still pretty much as it was "out of the box" in terms of software.

I've now been on Windows 10 for over a week and it still seems to be quite stable and usable. One or two minor design features that are either irksome or 'missing' in my view, but everyone's different and on the whole it doesn't feel to me to be a retrograde step from W7.

I hope this helps.......

Cheers

x8000783
Explorer

Thanks hought

The problem seems to revolve around the Nvidia graphics drivers which I need to make a second screen work.

Do you know which version you are/were using and whether you needed to upgrade them at all when you went from vista to 7 and then from 7 to 10?

John

hought
Explorer

Hi,

The graphics device on my VGN-FW31E is "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series". I'm pretty sure this has always been the case (from Vista days) and I've never had any problem with upgrade. I've seen a few reports of people having problem with NVIDIA drivers and I'm probably lucky (and thankful) to have ATI.

As an aside, I stream Sky Go to a TV via the laptop's inbuilt HDMI port. This also works without any hitch under Windows 10. I thought it might be a problem but no - it's just fine! It need to use IE rather than Edge as the browser but that's a well documented point.

Cheers