Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade!

Hi all

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone hadn't seen it yet.

It appears Microsoft have thrown in the towel on Windows 8.

(I can hear the 'Yippees' from here lol)

Microsoft say: "Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!  And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months."

Have a look Here :slight_smile: 

35 REPLIES 35
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Ah, I see where you are going with this - I think the disclaimer is trying to make it clear that the original OS that was pre-installed by the manufacturer i.e. Windows 7 SP1 in my case, is the one that is guaranteed to work with PM. If I go ahead and overwrite this with the Windows 10 download then it is no longer the OS that was originally shipped on my product and therefore no guarantee.

I think it would be 'nice' if Sony can state that PM will work on all legitimate Windows 10 free installs as this is what many people will be doing rather than buying a fresh machine with Windows 10 already installed by the manufacturer - does that make sense ? People may want the free OS but Sony are not (at present) prepared to guarantee PM on anything other than manufacturer OS installs at least with the operating systems that are available now.

It is very kind of you to offer a trial on my behalf and I would be very gratefull for this. It is the only reason I can think of that will stop me from the upgrade. I like the simplicity of PM, it offers just what I need and it is free. I am also looking at 4K camcorders and I see the latest update to PM includes being able to write XVAC S files to disc which is what I will need - another reason to keep PM on side

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.el_GR.title
Fender67
Explorer

Hi,

Just saw this: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-comp/windows_10_information

what do they mean by "this summer"????, I want to purchase a retail W 10 Pro x64 licence and set up a dual boot system, drivers by Sony should be ready when W 10 RTM is released which means at the end of July, or a max of 2 weeks later, hope they will not wait until the end of this summer to release some drivers for W 10.... :rolling_eyes:

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Good call Fender67

I just hope that they configure PM to work with the Windows10 upgrade and not insist that it should be installed by the OEM.

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Fender67
Explorer

And since W7 and higher Os's are eligible for the upgrade, I expect that Sony, if they want to be "fair", they release W 10 drivers for ALL laptops that were shipped with W 7 and later OS's.

Cheers,

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Just to reiterate Sony's information about Windows 10 to all Vaio Owners:

Windows 10 information

As announced by Microsoft on June 1, Windows 10 - their latest operating system - is scheduled to launch on July 29.

WARNING: There is a risk of software/driver corruption. We therefore strongly recommend that you do not upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available on July 29.

Sony is now testing Windows 10 and will be providing compatibility information during the summer of 2015. The release schedule will vary according to the different products.

Please wait until the upgrade information is released. Visit our support website regularly for the latest information and updates about this topic.

From This Page.

Fender67
Explorer

" Sony is now testing Windows 10 and will be providing compatibility information during the summer of 2015. The release schedule will vary according to the different products".

Compatibility information is a sneaky term, it does not ensure that drivers will be available for all models.

Also, information does not ensure that drivers will be released shortly after " information", if they will be released.

Let's wait and see... I'm not holding my breath....

In my case, I just want hardware drivers, I do not care at all about Sony bloatware as I intend to clean install W 10  Pro on a dual-boot system with W 7 x64.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Have Vaio owners received their windows 10 popup box yet?

(There's a compatibility check in the main menu)

I can understand frustration at the possibility drivers for your Vaios or hardware may not be ready.

Sony however are not alone with this problem. Other manufacturers (e.g. nvidia and even Microsoft ) are also fine tuning drivers.

On a seperate note, Microsoft don't ask all the manufacturers when they may have drivers ready etc., they just name a date of release and off they go to market regardless :wink:

It then falls on all companies to play catch-up.

It was interesting to read that Microsoft have warned users not to install Windows 10 on some of the Surface 3 machines!

"Answering questions about how to update the new tablet on the company’s Surface forum, a support person warned:

Please do NOT try to install Windows 10 on the new Surface 3. There are no drivers in the Preview Build because Intel has not yet provided drivers. There are no drivers for the Intel x5/x7 Atom processors. This warning does not apply to the new high-end Surface Pro 3 tablet, which can handle Windows 10 just fine, the Microsoft support person says."

Taken from This page.

Fender67
Explorer

"

Have Vaio owners received their windows 10 popup box yet?

(There's a compatibility check in the main menu"

Hi jumpsuit,

I do not understand what you mean by popup box, unless you mean:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583 but as I will not upgrade but clean install I hid that update.

I have a VPCF13Z1E laptop which can perfectly handle W 10 if Sony releases some compatible drivers like SFEP, MS, SD (Ricoh), &  Bluetooth drivers. From what I know everything related to Intel drivers will be bundled in the W 10 setup installer.

I'm not sure I'll install Vaio Event service, Sony Utilities, & Sony Shared library as I do not really have the Fn keys need.

Thank you.

Cheers,

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hiya

The symbol for the box appears in your ststem tray:

system.jpg

When you click it the pop-up box opens:

popup box2.jpg

After clicking the menu symbol in the top left hand corner you'll see this menu which offers the option to check your pc for compatibility issues:

popup box.jpg

On my NON-VAIO pc I get these results:

probs.jpg

Fender67
Explorer

Sony has released some new info  and, as expected, they won't release drivers for Win 7 OS's, although the Win 10 upgrade is for Win 7 and higher Operating Systems.

Quoted: " With regards to Sony VAIO personal computers, we are preparing a Windows 10 upgrade procedure – together with the necessary drivers and software* – for compatible models released after October 2012 (which were delivered with the Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 operating system preinstalled). Please note that Sony is currently not planning on providing an upgrade procedure, nor drivers and utilities, for older models which were released with Windows 7 or previous versions of Windows preinstalled.

Please wait until the upgrade information is released. Visit our support website regularly for the latest information and updates about this topic.

*Note that some of the functions, utilities or other software on your computer might be missing or not working properly after the Windows 10 upgrade. "

Now the big question, for those who do not want to upgrade but perform a clean install of Win 10 Home or Pro, will the hardware drivers, like SFEP etc, relased for Win 7, work in compatibility mode with Win 10????