Join now - be part of our community!

windows 8.1 graphics driver

profile.country.el_GR.title
jordanius
New

windows 8.1 graphics driver

hello!i have vpccb2s1e and i upgrade to windows 8.1.In device manager i can see the 2 graphics cards but in amd catalyst i cant choose the amd one but only the intel.i install amd driver for windows 8.1 but its doesnt change anything.any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
harbourviewer
Explorer

I have a similar problem which seems to be being reported on many other pc support sites (or similar ones). My AMD Catalyst Control Center no longer functions since I did Windows 8.1 from 8 free upgrade. Have done all right things including driver update provided in Vaio support. No longer have any video when playing Blu-Ray or DVD either on screen or via hdmi to tv. Same thing happened for weeks and weeks after update from W7 to W8 and was only solved by a new driver but the driver offered as an 8.1 update from Sony Vaio Support does not help. Very frustrating to have this happen yet again as the integral blu-ray is a main reason why I purchased this make and model as I travel a lot and it is my mobile source of entertainment. Any ideas: AMD support points straight back to Sony.

Vaio model is VPCCB3P1E bought april 2012 

takrzem

Yes, I also have some issues (raised in separate thread on this forum), I believe it's the outdated (or perhaps not customised for SONY laptops yet) Intel graphics driver.

When I go through Intel applet that verifies drivers' versions

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

it is reporting, that there's newer graphid driver available. However it cannot be deployed on my machine.

I think we have to chase SONY more.

harbourviewer
Explorer

Thanks for your input - tried running this but, as suspected, the graphics driver on my Vaio is an AMD driver and the ouput from the suggested applet is as below which pretty well confirms my suspicion that a Sony-modified AMD driver is used and it needs an urgent update by SONY: hope someone there is watching this ....

Product DetectedAMD Radeon HD 7400M Series
Current Driver Installed9.12.8.0

This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates. 

takrzem

Apologies for confusing you, reading the first post from other user I assumed that it's fitted with both Intel & AMD chipsets.

Did you try the latest files from here?

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCCB3P1E_B/updates

harbourviewer
Explorer

Thanks takrzem

I should have been clearer, too. It has an AMD Radeon™ HD 6470M graphics card only. Yes, I check out that URL regularly and had updated the driver posted there last month.  Also I have Vaio update running on this PC.

Device Manager tells me the AMD driver is version 9.12.8.0 and the date is 11/02/2013 (not sure whether this is a US or European date but hopefully it's a US one and it's a November release (will try to check out). As I stated, this is a complete clone of the situation I faced as an early upgrader from Windows 7. Sony are on record as not supporting upgrades on this model but nontheless a new driver did arrive later and Catalyst Control Center did regain some of the functionality I had under Windows 7. 

Hopefully others are affected and SONY will ventually respond. In the meantime I'm going to borrow from a family member a neat little Samsung notebook and separate blu ray drive that sails through these upgrades ...

harbourviewer
Explorer

A month or more on and still no acknowledgement from Sony that there's a problem with Windows 8.1 and the AMD graphics driver which now neither supports Catlyst Control Center nor lets me see video when I play DVDs or BluRay discs. This is the same problem that was solved after some time after the Windows 8.1 upgrade so it can't have been a surprise to AMD or Sony or Microsoft. I heartily wish I'd stayed with Windows 7 now - three big companies and they are so pathetic in supporting their existing customers. 

How about two new year resolutions from Sony?

(1) acknowledge support problems

(2) tell us what you plan to do about them

harbourviewer
Explorer

CORRECTION

A month or more on and still no acknowledgement from Sony that there's a problem with Windows 8.1 and the AMD graphics driver which now neither supports Catlyst Control Center nor lets me see video when I play DVDs or BluRay discs. This is the same problem that was solved after some time after the Windows 8 upgrade so it can't have been a surprise to AMD or Sony or Microsoft. I heartily wish I'd stayed with Windows 7 now - three big companies and they are so pathetic in supporting their existing customers. 

How about two new year resolutions from Sony?

(1) acknowledge support problems

(2) tell us what you plan to do about them