Join now - be part of our community!

Windows XP Home SP2 CD?

smsmasters
Visitor

Windows XP Home SP2 CD?

When I bought my sony vaio rx305 it came preinstalled with windows xp home. Would my cd key (at the back of my vaio) work with a windows xp home sp2 cd?

6 REPLIES 6
drinkfeckarse
Visitor

if its a new copy of xp then i don't think so, if you download from microsoft then all should be ok

BartK
Visitor

It is an upgrade of an official licenced software so yes, there is no problem in doing the upgrade.
As a matter of fact, why did you wait so long????

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi smsmasters,

If you have the original version of windows installed on your vaio and you install the SP2 update then your code is still valid.

However officially if you remove the Sony OEM version of windows and install either a new or borrowed version of Windows XP home SP2 disc then you should use a new licence code.

smsmasters
Visitor

Thanks for the replies. I already installed the SP2 over my OEM sony installation, but it is a pain in the butt having to install SP2 everytime I use the sony oem restore cds. So I just wanted to know if my cd key would work on a windows xp home sp2 cd instead.

Is there any way to slipstream sp2 into the sony oem restore cds?

BartK
Visitor

Auwch...
No way dude. The Licence key on the bottom of the Vaio is for an OEM system only, and cannot be used for any other os that is not prepped by Sony.
There is also no way to implement the SP2 on the reco discs.

Only solution --> reinstall SP2 after every recovery...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Or get your VAIO perfect and use Acronis TrueImage and make your own recovery