Join now - be part of our community!

Winxp sp2 usb ports stop working

flysfree
Visitor

Winxp sp2 usb ports stop working

. Installed service pack: WindowsXP Home SP2
Still using service pack: yes
2. Boot language: English
3. Detailed problem description: all 6 usb ports are not working. you can try varoius devices in any of the ports and you get no errors . it is like there is no power to the usb at all. the card readers have also dropped of the pc

steps taken to resolve the issue

removed and reinstalled all usb devices in device manager including the ports.(universal serial bus controllers section of device manager) on reboot windows says it detects the mouse but moue does not work in any port this happens with any hardware usb bound.

reinstalled the entire system and allowed windows to do all updates

also unticked the windows power management from the usb root hub in the universal serial bus controllers section of device manager
turned power managemnet of via windows. as it seems the ports are not recieving power.

the way this has gone it does look like a driver for the usb ports issue.but normally with winxp sp1 it resolves this however as this comes with winxp sp2 i can not roll it back.

4. Checked for upgrades or patches: yes
5. Additional SW: only preinstalled software on the pc other than hps printer. which worked fine before the ports dropped
6. Additional HW: none other than memmory
7. Extra memory added: yes
8. Additional remarks: so all storage devices that are usb that come with the vaio have dropped off the system and all usb ports (4) on the back (2) at the front are not responsive. you can plug something in and is not recognised no power to the ports. when i reinstalled the usb through removing from universal serial bus controllers section of device manager it was redetected and reinstalled fine. windows recognised this like it should.

there are no errors device manager says it is working properly. everything else works fine this is only affecting the usb ports

the above is part of my e support ticket . i thought i would post this on the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this issue with the sony vaio desktop PCV-RS702

maybe you have found a resolution if so please say as im getting a little stuck on this now
thank you

0 REPLIES 0