Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless connection, local access only

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
flashphotographer
Visitor

Wireless connection, local access only

Hi there, my VGN-NR10E/S has been playing up a while. The wireless LAN doesn't connect me to the internet. It's really strange as my friend's PC and laptop connect fine. When I click the connection icon it says local access only, so it connects to the router but doesn't allow me to access the internet. However, when using an ethernet cable to connect it's fine. At first I thought it might be Vista, but my friend has Vista on her laptop and her connection's fine.

I've tried to diagnose network connection problems, turn windows firewall on and off, reboot router and laptop, change IP settings, but all with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tomburnett2
Visitor

I have just got mine to work. Plugged the ethernet cable in, went on windows update and there was an optional LAN update. Installed it and now it works fine. Good luck.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

This seems to be a common problem recently.  I have had similar problems and have put them down to my Netgear DGN 2000 dropping the internet connection.  Usually running the connection wizard in IE works for me with a router re-boot.  Have you looked for a router firmware update?

Are you saying that your friend can connect to the internet through your router at the same time that you cannot connect?  If so, have you installed the updated Atheros WiFi Driver 7.4B - 7.4.2.15?  It may be worth reinstalling it even if you have updated.

You can download the update from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-NR10E_S

:thinking:

tomburnett2
Visitor

Hi, I have a similar model (VGN-NR10E) and have had the same problem over the last couple of days. I live in a student house and we recently got a virgin tv and internet package, but I am only able to get local access when I try to connect. I have installed the driver from the link you provided but there has been no change. Any other suggestions? 

flashphotographer
Visitor

I don't mean to sound really stupid but what is a router firmware update?

Also, yes my friend can connect at the same time that I cannot, and yes, I have installed the WiFi driver with no luck.

This isn't looking too hopeful....

profile.country.en_IE.title
cudtech
Visitor

i just bought this laptop 3 days ago, and i am also having this issue, my old non sony laptop connects without any issues.i have updated a few times.the link above is for x32, is there a new update for x64.

just did another update, and now when i dont connect, it tells me that its a DNS issue.and that if i istall an updated driver, it may fix it

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

When replying, please give your Vaio model - not all models have the Atheros WiFi Card.

A quick Google shows that this is a widespread problem across several makes of computer.  It seems limited to Vista and Windows 7 operating systems (not XP) and I cannot find one consistent answer.

Realistically it will be either: -

1. A Windows Bug - as a full reinstallation of the OS often fixes it.

2. A driver problem for the wireless card.

3. A Firewall issue where the Security Suite closes ports necessary for an internet connection in Vista and Win 7.

To try to isolate the cause can you try the following two 'fixes':

ONE

1.  Go to Device Manager and expand 'Network Adapters'

2.  Right-click on your Wireless Adapter and choose 'Disable'

3.  When it shows as disabled with a red cross, right-click on it and choose 'Enable'

Can you connect now?

TWO

1.  Close your Vaio down and restart

2.  When you see the first Vaio Splash Screen, tap the F8 Key repeatedly until the Windows Advanced Options Menu shows on screen

3.  Use your arrow keys to move down to 'Safe Mode with Networking'

4.  Press the 'Enter' key

Can you connect now? If Yes it is likely a firewall issue so please tell me which Internet Security you are using (Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky probably)

I will also ask Sony if they know a fix for this problem.

flashphotographer
Visitor

I have tried both of your suggestions, still with no luck.

My wireless LAN shouldn't be broken though as, when I am at home away from university, my wireless connection works fine with my BT home broadband there. Strange.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes you are right - if it connects somewhere it rather points to the network wifi router.

Let's see what Sony come up with.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_IE.title
cudtech
Visitor

i have a sony vaio model pcg61611-m   and im using norton anti virus, which was installed when i got the computer

i can connect to the net if i disable and then enable, but am i supposed to do this every time i start up or restart???

this laptop isnt even a week old.if i cant sort this problem by the end of the week, im going to be left with no other choice, but to return it

tomburnett2
Visitor

I have just got mine to work. Plugged the ethernet cable in, went on windows update and there was an optional LAN update. Installed it and now it works fine. Good luck.