Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless device not working in XP VGN-NR38E

profile.country.en_GB.title
vincenttracey
Visitor

Wireless device not working in XP VGN-NR38E

I have recently installed XP on my Vaio VGN-NR38E and cannot get the wireless device working. It's not even visible in the hardware device manager. I have tried various drivers but with no success, trawled through the net for hours and keep coming up empty.
Anybody got any ideas!
Please don't say go back to Vista (It's crap anyway) as most of the software I use for work doesn't even install never mind run on anything other than XP or earlier.

4 REPLIES 4
kodlum
Visitor

I know it's a bit of a fudge but you could get either an express card or usb Wi-Fi device that is supported by XP. It would at least get you going for now.
Hope you get it sorted.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi vincenzo67 and welcome.

Your model can have one of two wireless cards. You need to know if you have an Intel ProWireless wireless card or a LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN. Look at your specifications or in Device Manager -> Network Adapters.

When you know which, install the correct driver from the Original Drivers download for the VGN-N11S which was sold with XP installed - here:-

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-N11S_W

You must then install the Wireless Switch Setting Utility and the Wireless LAN starter fron the Original Utilities download for the VGN-N11S using the same link as above.

In addition to the physical switch on the front of your Vaio you must have the software switch installed also and running at startup - this is the Wireless Switch Setting Utility.

:wink:

vincenttracey
Visitor

Hi Blencogo, thanks for your advice but still no luck unfortunately. I have tried both drivers you listed and the wireless switch driver but I still can't even see the wireless card in my hardware or network devices menu.
I don't profess to be a computer expert but can usually sort things out eventually with a bit of research or dogged determination but I'm afraid this has got me totally stumped. :slight_frown: :slight_frown: :slight_frown:

vincenttracey
Visitor

SUCCESS!!!!!!!
I used a free software programme DriverMax(http://download.cnet.com/DriverMax/3000-18513_4-10572602.html) let it scan and update all drivers (let it do it's own thing) then when finished run identify any unknown hardware. Hey Presto found the correct drivers and Wireless LAN now working.
Just need to sort out my hotkey utilities as I can't change the brightness of my screen......err Here we go again :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_frown: