Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless LAN indicator light goes out

profile.country.en_GB.title
rokilne
Visitor

Wireless LAN indicator light goes out

I have been trying to get my NR10E/S laptop with Vista HP to communicate wirelessly with my Linksys WRT54GC router. This is the first time.
At first I could see other people's networks but not my own – maybe the channels are not set correctly(?).
Now I find that when I log on to Windows the Wireless LAN indicator light on the front of the case goes out.
When I restart the PC the light comes on again during the boot sequence and goes out after I log in from the welcome screen.
When I try to get Windows to connect wirelessly it (of course) says "Wireless capability turned off". Moving the slider switch back and forth has no effect.
I've tried a CAT5 cable connection and that works fine.
I was trying, when the problem arose, to check that the SSID on the laptop and router are the same, but where do I look for the laptop's?
Thank you for any help you can give.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi pictup,

Open Vaio Control Center > Network Connections > Vaio Smart Network and make sure that the WLAN has not been turned off...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rokilne
Visitor

I've gone into Vaio Control Center > Network Connections, but Vaio Smart Network isn't available from there. It's among the items right there on Vaio Control Center but I can't open it. I've tried highlighting it and clicking the Open button, double clicking it and right clicking and choosing Open but nothing happens. I'm sure you're on the right track but any idea how I get the thing to open?

rokilne
Visitor

OK I've managed to open the Vaio Smart Network by right-clicking on the Systray icon and clicking Show main window. From there I could go into WLAN settings where sure enough it was set to Off. I'm certain I didn't do that – at least not directly. I searched the Vaio documentation and saw no mention of it.
Now I see my network and can go online. Many thanks for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I see there is an Update for the VAIO Smart Network 1.2.01.12150 available today (19/12/07) for your model from Vaio-Link here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-NR&m=2866

Perhaps this is a fix for the problem.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

OK I've managed to open the Vaio Smart Network by right-clicking on the Systray icon and clicking Show main window. From there I could go into WLAN settings where sure enough it was set to Off. I'm certain I didn't do that – at least not directly. I searched the Vaio documentation and saw no mention of it.
Now I see my network and can go online. Many thanks for your help.

Your welcome pictup, pleased to hear that you are now online.

I see there is an Update for the VAIO Smart Network 1.2.01.12150 available today (19/12/07) for your model from Vaio-Link here: -

From reading other similar posts Blencogo I have a feeling that the problem was caused by an update but let's hope that the new version solves the problem:smileyconfused:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
rokilne
Visitor

Thanks - I've downloaded and installed that update – I'll see how it goes. It's odd, it downloaded quite quickly - around 80-90 KB/sec - on my 2Mb broadband, but when I go onto websites the browser is reluctant to follow links. Quite often it just fails completely to follow links or to go onto other sites from Favorites. I think it was OK when I had the CAT5 cable connected.