Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless speed problems - Pleae help!

GE90
Visitor

Wireless speed problems - Pleae help!

Hi,

After some advice..... please!

I have a Sony Vaio A497XP connected to a Belkin Pre n router/modem using the in-built wireless. All connected well, and broadband works OK. Just have a query though....

When I connect the laptop to the router with ethernet all is fine and fast. However, when I use wireless the broadband internet is either fast (as fast as wire/ethernat) or very very slow.. The network speed varies from 22mbps to 54mbps. Broadband speed test sometimes go down to 100kbps from a normal 950kbps!

Right, now I am not too clever on these things, but surely even if the wireless speed drops to 24mbps, that should have no effect on my 2-8 mbps broadband? Siganl strength has always been excellent full greens.

Belkin say that it is a setting problem with the built in wireless, or perhaps buy a Pre n PCMCIA card.

The Intel site has later drivers for the 2200BG wireless, but suggests using the laptop manufacturers drivers instead. I cannot find any sony drivers for the wireless.

Also, is it normal for the wireless speed to reduce so much? I have tried different channels, and still the same. In auto now.
I have some DECT phones, but switched these off, with no difference. Is 24mbps about right, with 54mbps max?

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi

If your wireless drops to 22mbit, you should still get 2mbit from your connection, or even 8. This sounds like an ISP issue - and is quite common as 8mbit lines don't give you 24/7 8mbit throughput due to contention (oops getting technical, sorry).

Let me explain - lets say you have a cake - it has 8 portions. There's 9 people in the house - when the ninth person comes to get a piece of the cake there's no more, because the 8 others are eating the cake, this is contention. But when person b has finished, and lets say there's a waitress who's refilling the plate, then that ninth person can eat the cake.

God I think I made that a bit harder than it needed to be LOL

GE90
Visitor

Thanks.

Just about kept up with you....!

If it was an ISP issue, wouldn't it still be a problem with the wired connection - which seems consistently OK?

Thanks again.

kee-lo_

Seems strange that the wireless connection would do so much damage to bandwidth.

I would have a look for new drivers, if Sony doesn't have any look at the make/model of the card and google it

GE90
Visitor

Thanks again.

I have an Intel 2200BG wireless built in. Intel have a driver pack, but it is 70mb, so unsure whether to go ahead? None found for the Sony A497XP in Support.

Thanks!

kee-lo_

Yeah it's probably got a lot of documents and wireless setups in there.

Make a system restore point before trying

Goto
Start> All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and choose to make a new point

William
Visitor

Thanks again.

I have an Intel 2200BG wireless built in. Intel have a driver pack, but it is 70mb, so unsure whether to go ahead? None found for the Sony A497XP in Support.

Thanks!

I also have an Intel 2200BG and have previously downloaded Intel's offering. It installs a lot of utility software so eventually I just used the driver.

For me the driver was less stable connection wise so I went back to the original Sony driver, but that was only my experience
:slight_frown:

GE90
Visitor

OK, thanks. Might stick with what I have then. Gone back to my USB modem now, and will only use the wireless when I really need to........

Cheers!

fyyaman
Visitor

you should download final version of wireless intel driver from the intel support site. Your connection will be stable then previous connection ..

GE90
Visitor

Thanks!