Join now - be part of our community!

Word Keeps Crashing Ahhhhh

induct
Visitor

Word Keeps Crashing Ahhhhh

MS Word 2000 keeps crashing whenever I use it. I know it might be impossible for people to help but any help would be great.

I can put the error online if it helps.

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This will explain.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Process File: VzFw or VzFw.exe
Process Name: Sony GigaPocket

Description:
VzFw.exe is a process belonging to the Sony GigaPocket multimedia entertainment center. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Have you any recent word documents that are 2.5MB or greater?

If so then this may help:
# When a Word file becomes very large in size then it can start to behave in an unstable manner. It may not be very many pages long but if you have included a lot of images then the actual size of the Word file can increase quite dramatically. Problems usually occur when the file is about 2.5Mb or more in size.
# The only way to get around this problem is to split the document into two (or more) documents. You can do this simply by saving the first part of the document and the second part of the document as new unique filenames.
# A more formal way to work with a document split into several parts, is to create a Master document in Word, which holds a common template format for the two parts. Then add in Subdocuments, which will be the various files which make up your Word document. You should refer to HELP in Word and search for MASTER DOCUMENTS for a fuller explanation of the process.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Fuzzillogic
Visitor

I don't hope I'm stating the obvious but... have you installed the latest service pack for MSOffice?..

And I do agree on OpenOffice.org! It's an excellent alternative.

induct
Visitor

Yep, done all available updates

File sizes are very small, Rich912 cheers anyway.

I'm thinking of reinstalling OS, but I can't afford the time.

robpaxton
Explorer

Try moving all of the macros from the .../office/startup folder to a temporary folder. There may be a startup macro causing a problem. You could also try deleting the normal.dot template.

I know this next bit's going to sound funny - also try temporarily uninstalling your printers - Word can get very tetchy if there is a problem with the default printer.

induct
Visitor

Cheers I'll give it a go, sounds like you might of solved it, as I have had problems with printers before.

induct
Visitor

So far so good, thank you Rob

induct
Visitor

My whole PC seems to be running alot quicker now. Thank you!!! :smileygrin:

kee-lo_

Well spotted Rob :smileygrin: