Join now - be part of our community!

XL201 - attaching a vcr via svideo

danf_42
Visitor

XL201 - attaching a vcr via svideo

Hi, I've just bought an XL201. In the manual it states that you can attach a vcr to the svideo and composite audio connectors on the back. But it doesn't explain just how you can view your vcr on the XL201 or how you can record your tapes to the hdd. Please could someone help if they know how to do this?

I've found the documentation for the XL201 to be very poor and really not describe how all the bits of software that come with the pc, and all the connectors on the back work.

7 REPLIES 7
Flashharry
Visitor

Did you ever resolve this, anything other than an rf connection & no one appears to be able to tune the av device. I'm trying to connect cable & like others i've read on here, I get the little tune box ok but can't select the av device to watch. Still only get TV on 4:3 although xp goes full screen.

Anyone ever resolved these issues?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

MCE and Vista are designed for handling Digital Media and are pretty poor using analogue inputs.

You have to go back to TV setup and configure MCE for a 'Set Top Box' even if you don't have one. This should allow the s-video input.

Have you tried the inputs inside the front cover and tried using Click to DVD?

I have often been tempted to buy ONE OF THESE which should separate the TV and Analogue Input functions.

:thinking:

Flashharry
Visitor

Thanks for the reply, I actually got the composite working but now I have lost RF, guess I can't have both. This still leaves with 4:3 screen which I was hoping the scart/composite would resolve. Is this as good as it gets all TV on 4:3 through media center?

danf_42
Visitor

I haven't got it working yet. My setup is that I have the normal ariel going in, running Freeview. I've also got a Sony HDD/DVD recorder, which I've tried connecting to the svideo on the vaio, but the vaio doesn't seem to see it.

Seems a bit daft having connectors on the back if you can't actually use them 😞

Flashharry
Visitor

Is the tuner card freeview? Anyway from my little experience you cannot have both RF & Svideo working together. I think to get your recorder conected you maybe have to tell the Vaio it's a satellite or cable box.

profile.country.en_GB.title
@7908848805001668
Visitor

VCR works fine when the TV Tuner is set as an Analogue (ie no Freeview) tuner, then the VCR plays and records through the XL just as another TV station (Ch38 is a common default for VCRs).

Same is true for Sky box (RF2 out, tuned to 69 I think).

Does Vista allow a simple switched use of analogue and digital, like a TV set does, and as XP MCE 2005 does not?

Andy

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Andy,

You may find THIS LINK of interest.

:wink: