Join now - be part of our community!

z1sp fan noise episode II

paradoxchild
Visitor

z1sp fan noise episode II

hello, not too long ago i posted the following

http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=32540

and was advised to get some compressed air and clean my laptop's vents.

i was all set to do this when the noise suddenly stopped and, being not the most confident with technical things, i decided to leave well alone.

a mistake. yesterday, after months of no noise, during a virus scan the noise returned, only much worse! i know that virus scans are processor intensive, but the noise was so loud that i cancelled the scan and shut my vaio down. i have not dare turn it on since!

so, i am now going to try the compressed air , but i am a little unsure what you do? sorry if its a silly question.

on the underneath of my vaio are 3 vents, the top left one appears to have the fan ..am i ment to spray the air into those holes or should i remove the underneath itself?

i just thought that blowing dust in such a confined space will just blow it somewhere else, rather than out.

its not under warrenty anymore so i'd like to try all that i can before having to spend lots on having sony do it.

thanks

jj (again)
ps apologies for not doing the compressed air before

45 REPLIES 45
skykit84
New

Get a 7200 rpm drive
I changed the 5400 in my sz2xp for a 7200 and what a difference!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That's right James, ATA-100 with 7200RPM is your best buy

paradoxchild
Visitor

hello,

well, i do have a confession. i was out in town and just happened to go past a window, that just happened to belong to the sony centre....i saw the black C1Z and......well..i gave in to temptation and came home with one! its very nice. i will try and do a review if anyone's interested (although it won't be very technical).

although the logic of doing so may seem flawed now, i do still intend to have a go at adding a new hdd to my z1sp. will the recovery disks that came with the z1sp work on a new drive or do they rely on something already on the hdd?

thanks

james

kee-lo_

Hehe sure you did, like I went past the chocolate counter and accidently put in a bar of chocolate -- just kidding by the way :smileygrin:

Hope it works better than the old one.

I really wish they'd make a green edition of that laptop :cool:

paradoxchild
Visitor

the only difference between mine and the green one is the black has bluetooth and a better graphics card (i think).

the z1sp has been as quiet as a mouse though ever since!!!

kee-lo_

Typical