Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot update firmware on WF-1000X wireless earphones

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jowilso7943

Cannot update firmware on WF-1000X wireless earphones

I’ve tried to update the software on the WF-1000X wireless earphones using the Sony iOS app. Each time I’ve tried (four times so far) the bar gets to about 50% and then displays the message ‘The software transfer failed’. Has anyone been able to successfully update these earphones? 

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
graaskov84

Well...
IF you value stability without skipping sound, then DO NOT update to 1.0.7!!!

I can't even listen to music, without constant drops in sound on the right earpiece.... with my phone being right in my face (~20 cm). This was never a problem on 1.0.6.
***** Sony - you just made these earphones unusable/annoing without the possibility to downgrade :frowning2:

profile.country.GB.title
Davide9999
Explorer

Well I bought these earphones two days ago and I don't have the luxury of using 1.0.6. They are currently on 1.0.5 and the only upgrade available to me is 1.07. I've tried at least ten times now but the software will simply not transfer under any circumstances even following your suggested procedure.

This has to be the absolute worst Sony product I have ever bought. The update procedure has clearly not been tested and there is no support from the company. These will be going back to the shop when I get time on the weekend and they wont be replaced with Sont products!

profile.country.BE.title
milahou
New

I had the exact same problem and I understand your frustration. I tried again and again but failed every time. 
However, by following the advice given on this forum, I was able to upgrade. In my case, disabling all other bluetooth connections did the trick. After doing that I followed the instructions to the letter and successfully upgraded. 
So maybe you should give it another try. 
Good luck
Miguel
profile.country.GB.title
Davide9999
Explorer

Well I had some work to do at my computer today so I thought I'd have another go while I was sitting there. First attempt failed as did the second. Both on 0%. Without changing anything the third attempt started to load the update but failed at 50%. The fourth attempt also failed at 50%. Each time I reset the earphones and ensured no Apps were running. Four other attempts were made but all failed at 0%.

This afternoon I've turned off every other Bluetooth device in the house and started again. Finally it was successful though I notice that WF-1000X is listed twice in the list of 'My Devices' now - one for each ear?

SONY - this has to be the flakiest update solution I have ever come across and frankly speaking I wouldn't pay the developers in washers!

Finally got the upgrade to work :-

1. Disable WiFi on your phone

2. Make sure both headphones are charged and out of box and connected to your phone 

3. Set your phone display to not switch off while update is in progress - I set mine to half an hour

This worked for me - note despite what others have said my watch was still connected to my phone during this process so not sure you need to disconnect all other BT connections from your phone but no harm if you want to.

Helpful tips 

Turn the wifi on your phone off

Make sure both headphones are charged and out of the charger and connected via Bluetooth to your phone

Set your phone screen to not switch off for the longest period possible ( in display in settings ) - I set mine to half an hour.

Presto!! - it finally ran the upgrade!

profile.country.RO.title
vladd1
Explorer

i have the same problems after updating to 1.0.7!!

constant drops in sound on the right ear! very annoying! any solutions for that?

profile.country.GB.title
rickydel
New

I have all the abovr and this still doesnt work. Can the update be done via the laptop

profile.country.GB.title
abubasim

I bought these these earphones less than a week ago and immediately after installing the app on my iPhone it alerted me that an update was available. It was successful but I don't know if this was what caused the problem with  right earbud cutting out usually several times per minute when playing any audio from the iPhone. Probably not as the same problem does not happen at all when pairing with a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL . On the 950 I have played several hours of music and podcasts and the right earbud hasn't cut out even once.

profile.country.GB.title
Kirstyshine
Explorer

Hi 

I followed your advice but now when going into updating it seems to disconnect the headphones as the icon in the top right of my screen disappears .

the update doesnt go straight into error but sits at 0% for a long time

Anyone had this?