Join now - be part of our community!

Creating a playlist on the nw a45 without a pc

profile.country.GB.title
johnconstable
Explorer

Creating a playlist on the nw a45 without a pc

I've just started using my new nw a45. I'm trying to create a playlist o  the device but I ca t find out how. Do I really need to be plugged in to a pc to create a playlist? 

If I'm out and about and I want to make up a playlist surely it defeats the object of a portable device if you need to plug it into a pc?

I can't alway anticipating the need to create a new playlist in advance to pre preprepare it before I go out!

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

At the link it reads only to be able to add to a Playlist, I thought they could only be created by a Computer first.

Manolo

profile.country.GB.title
johnconstable
Explorer

Yes - as far as I can tell, you can can't create a new playlist on the device, you can only add to one. New playlists have to be created on the pc and transferred to the device.

However, on the japanese version you CAN create a new playlist on the device. It has an option for this on the library screen.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @johnconstable,

are you certain about this? 

The option is listed on my NW-A45 as well, yet I get an error if I click said option - what makes you so sure it creates a playlist on the Japanese version?

Also what is wrong with using the bookmark-lists as a playlist alternative?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
johnconstable
Explorer

bookmarks don't have the same functionality or convenience as playlists. If they did then presumably sony wouldn't bother with playlist support on the device.

I researched the matter and there are various references to the japanese functionality and even descriptions on how to hack a european one to the japanese settings. i've seen the screen shots of the european and japanese devices for comparision.

When you select 'add to playlist' it offers the option to create a new one alongside a list of the existing ones.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

ウォークマンで新しいプレイリストを作ることができます。 - [プレイリストに追加]-[新規プレイリスト作成]をタップします。プレイリストの名前を入力し、[完了]をタップしてください。

You can create new playlists with Walkman.  -Tap [Add to Playlist]-[Create New Playlist]. Enter a name for the playlist and tap Finish.

Manolo

profile.country.GB.title
johnconstable
Explorer

not on the european version. Were you able to see my photo?

profile.country.GB.title
johnconstable
Explorer

walkman_playlists.JPG

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Yes, what I translated from Japanese is only on the Japanese device indeed.

Manolo

profile.country.GB.title
johnconstable
Explorer

I wonder why they hold that functionality back from europeans?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @johnconstable,

thank you for the image - the more you know :astonished:

I too wonder why it is not possible on the international version of the player :thinking:

- Nic