Join now - be part of our community!

Head unit to speaker compatibility

Head unit to speaker compatibility

I'm hoping that this is the correct forum to post this question in, please let me know if this is a mispost and I'll put it into the correct area. 

So I am looking at upgrading my factory head unit and speakers with an all Sony setup, after deciding on budget and quality I chose my head unit and speakers. For my head unit I settled on the DSX-A400BT, which has 4 channels at 55W each. I thought that this was a reasonable power output and liked the fact that the unit had bluetooth capability. However, I can't find the RMS value of the head unit, which made the next step slightly harder.

After I had "chosen" the head unit I moved on to my speakers. The speakers that my car can take are 2x 2.5" tweeters and 2x 5.1" co-axial speakers. 

This is where I ran into some issues. The highest rated 5.1" speakers that Sony sell are the XS-XB130, these speakers however, only have a "rated value" listed (as 50W) and don't have an RMS value stated. (neither does the head unit) Although I understand that the term "rated value" means what the speaker would typically run at, I have no ideas as to whether these speakers would be destroyed by the power output of my head unit. 

If anyone would be helpful enough to maybe clear the issue up for me that would be fantasic.

TL;DR 

will the head unit DSX-A400BT blow up the speaker set XS-XB130 or vice versa, are the two compatible?

Regards,

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi KnightOfJust, 

Welcome to the community and thank you for your message. We are looking into this and someone will get back to you soon.

Thanks, 

Pascale_F

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi KnightOfJust,

In principle the head unit can destroy the speakers. But that is true for nearly every head unit. When it runs into the limit it can kill every speaker.

Best, 

Arthur