Join now - be part of our community!

How to fix my WH-CH500 wireless headphones and get rid of purple light?

profile.country.US.title
PurpleLight
Explorer

How to fix my WH-CH500 wireless headphones and get rid of purple light?

Hi there.

I got me WH-CH500 wireless headphones a couple months ago and it was working great until about a month ago. Its started showing me a purple light from the led indicator. I tried hard resetting it but nothing changed. I also tried letting it fully charge to reset automatically but that hasn't worked either so I'm gonna need help on trying to fix this.

Model: Sony WH-CH500

Symptoms: unit has a purple LED light. Nothing happened to cause this, no impact to device, no adverse environments etc. Simply one day I charged the unit and the LED turned purple and the device became unresponsive. 

Troubleshooting:  Tried resetting also, no success. I let the battery drain and charged it again, however, same result.

What should I do now?

Tags (3)
11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

Did you follow this reset procedure?

https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/whch500/v1/en/contents/TP0001613432.html

If so I would recommend to send the headphones to a repair centre.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.US.title
PurpleLight
Explorer

Thank you for your response So my headphones battery died. I turned it on again and there was a little bit of battery left and I was able to connect briefly to a device via Bluetooth. Then the battery completely dies and the headphones go off. When I charge the headphones up again, the purple light comes back on and will not go off (trying holding down the button, resetting etc. does nothing).

Regarding your advise: 'If so I would recommend to send the headphones to a repair centre.' - Can you expand on this please? What repair centre? Are the earphones not still under warranty? Is this a common issue with this model of device? See the following thread with 30+ people with the same issue with this model of headphones.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
willie5QB
Explorer

I've had almost the same issue, it was also all about battery. After some adjustments - nothing happened. So I've simply started looking for new headphones, and after some analysis of headsets I've seen in the article at this link I've got a new model of Bowers & Wilkins PX active noise cancelling wireless headphones. They have pretty long battery life.

profile.country.US.title
PurpleLight
Explorer

Hi Peter, any update on this?

profile.country.US.title
PurpleLight
Explorer

My customer feedback based on this experience with Sony & Sony Support:

Having reviewed threads and threads of people with the same issue (both on this 'community' and on the US Sony 'community') and also raising a support 'chat' it has become apparent:

1. Sony Support agents are not aware of what the 'Purple LED' indicates or how to resolve it 
  2. Despite counting 50+ community members with the same issue, Sony are not taking any responsibility for the fault in the product/product design (alithough accepting that there is a fault, not taking responsibility)

This is hugely disappointing from a customer perspective. I really believed that Sony were a reputable company with quality products. From this experience I am led to believe that 1) the products are not quality & 2) the support offered to customers is little to none (once it falls outside of their standard 'knowledg base' articles).

My advice going forward: certainly when it comes to headphones, look for alternatives other than Sony. If you have purchased a Sony product, look for your receipt and keep it safe.

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi PurpleLight,

Sorry for my late reply.

If your headphones are still within warranty you should be able to send them to a repair centre which should repair your device within warranty. The Service Centre in the US would be:

Screenshot_2020-09-08 Product Repair Sony USA.png

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.US.title
PurpleLight
Explorer

Thank you,

However, I am based in Ireland (I do not know why it is appearing as US). Do you have a contact for an Irish location please?

Thanks

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi PurpleLight,

There seems to be more than one option for Ireland - please chose the one that suits you best:

https://locator.sony/en_IE/servicecenters/?zoom=6&latitude=53.27835&longitude=-7.99805&categories=au...

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.US.title
PurpleLight
Explorer

To note, I contacted the 'Sony Repair centre', they advised:

response.JPG