Join now - be part of our community!

MDR-BX80BS - review

profile.country.DE.title
r_a_n_i
Expert

MDR-BX80BS - review

Dear Community,

since a few years I had the chance to use and test different headphones. From cheap wired up to some Hi-Res Audio headphones. Some of them are still at home, and I like to have the option to use different devices for different situations.

So for example at home I’m using the MDR-A1, when traveling the best option are the MDR-1000X ore for sports the MDR-AS800BT.

The last one is also often used in office or during long on call shifts. I have the AS800BT headphones already since I think two years. They where great for cycling and phone calls since they are very light with good battery performance and acceptable sound quality.

The only problem which I had were the ribbons which are used to mount the speakers in the ear. When cycling they will fall down after some time. Also when stored in the pocket mostly the whole speaker will fall apart, and before I can use it again, I will have to reassemble the whole thing. Also since the audio quality is only acceptable I decided to look for something new.

I started to look for some bluetooth headphones for sports, with good sound and which are durable. Sony has right now a few different models in their offer. While shopping i was not sure if the selected MDRR-XB80BS is the best one. I was a bit afraid that the whole thing which is holding the speaker on my ear is to big and to heavy. But since Sony was advertising them with Super Bass I give them a try.

IMG_2433.jpg

In the box is everything what you need. Besides the headphones you will find a nice cover (with a cool magnetic lock system) some additional ear ribbons, an USB cable and of course the standard documentation.

Already during the first test I realized that all is good. Nothing is to big or to heave and the headphone is very secure mounted on the ears. Since then I had the chance to test them mostly in office or during some walks with the dog. Last Sunday I had finally some time for cyclo cross.

In office I’m using them with an iPhone 7 Plus and an Samsung A3. So far all works good. The connection is very easy, especially with the A3 over NFC. Mostly I used them for phone calls. I asked also a few callers about the quality since sometimes people where complaining when I was using the old 800BT headphones. So far the feedback was only positive.

When cycling I’m using a NW-A25 Walkman, there are a few reasons, the most important is that the audio quality is much better and I can listen to FLAC files. Also it is lighter that a phone.
During the first attempt to connect the headphones with the Walkman over NFC I got an error that the device is not supported. So I did it once again, and this time there was no error and the headphone was connected within one or two seconds. NFC is something great.

I think the problem was because when connecting I had two phone with my and a Wahoo Elemnt bike computer which was trying to connect to the iPhone and tree sensors on the bike. Next time I will try the same with less bluetooth devices around.

After this one issue I never faced similar problems again.

While cycling the headphone fits perfectly, I never had a feeling that something will fall apart. The only thing is the cable where I|m facing some difficulties. There is a mount to set the right cable length. I’m not complaining that it is problem, but I think I can adjust it better. Similar story with the ear ribbons. During the first meters I had a strong feeling in one ear that some wind is coming in. But only for a few minutes. Maybe I have to use bigger ribbons, Will check.

About the sound quality.

I was very positive surprised how good the audio quality is for such a small device, the Bass is deep and the quality is crisp. Definitely the quality is better than the old 800BT headphone, but i think this is not a surprise. I think the quality will be even better when I have the right ribbons mounted on them.

What is not so good...

After this few days of testing I found some points which are not that good.
This mount to adjust the cable is good while using the headphones, but when their are in the pocket or the the cover this little thing will fall apart.

I know that this is not a very valid point but when using them in office I can’t always listen in stereo. When one side is in my ear the other is hanging down. This is not very comfortable. And the last point, when using for music or during calls you can’t charge them. As soon you connect the USB cable the headset will turn off. This is sad, since while sitting in a long call or when using in office one side of the headphone could be connected to the charger. Same issue is with the old 800BT, maybe this is something Sony can change in future.

I can’t tell much about the battery performance, I had to use them already once for 7 hours when working. I was in a teleconference and the battery was able to handle this.
But for a better picture or a final conclusion I need to use them more.
Charging is very quick. So it looks promising as of now.

IMG_2435.jpg

First verdict.

With the MDR-XB80BS you will get a very good headphone for sports which can also be used as a phone headset. With HD-Voice on board and a very good sound quality. Very good quality for this value. I really like them to use while cycling and after this few days they are already a part of my standard equipment. Very good music quality with a deep bass good battery and more options like voice steering which i didn't test yet.

Now I just have to look for a good playlist, if you know any, please share it.

Let me know if you have any questions. I’m happy to help.

Cheers
r_a_n_i

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

Thanks for the review - like your photos :slight_smile:

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.DE.title
r_a_n_i